Ellis Stebbins Collection, 1855-1981 PDF
- Stebbins, Ellis A.
- Ellis Stebbins Collection
- 1855-1981 (inclusive)18551981
- 18 linear feet, (3 filing cabinet drawers)
- Collection Number
- MSS 14
- Administrative and personal research papers of Ellis Stebbins, who served Oregon State Normal School and Oregon College of Education from 11928-1968. Includes correspondence, subject files, and original documents related to college departments and administration, history of the college, and drafts of manuscripts leading up to his 1973 publication The OCE Story.
- Western Oregon University Archives
345 N. Monmouth Ave.
- Access Restrictions
Collection is available for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Unprocessed box descriptions available upon request.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided, in part, by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. Funding for archival supplies made possible, in part, by a grant from the Polk County Cultural Coalition.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Born March 14, 1900 in Ellsworth, Iowa, Ellis Stebbins eventually became a very prominent administrator in the history of Oregon College of Education (OCE). In 1924, he graduated from Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon. From 1924 until 1928, Stebbins taught at high schools in The Dalles, Oregon. In 1928, Stebbins was hired as Assistant President (under President Joseph Landers) at Oregon Normal School in Monmouth, Oregon. From 1928 until his retirement in 1968, Stebbins was active on campus and served in many different positions, including Dean of Administration, Business Manager and Interim President during the transition between Presidents Lieuallen and Rice from 1961 to 1962. After he retired in 1968, Stebbins was awarded the Distinguished Service Award by the Oregon State Employees Association and “Man of the Year” by the City of Monmouth. Also during his retirement, Stebbins wrote a book entitled “The OCE Story”, which described the history of the college from the mid-19th century until his retirement. Stebbins was known for his expertise and knowledge about the college and very much respected by all. He died in Salem, Oregon on June 1, 1992.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Administrative and personal research papers of long-time Oregon College of Education administrator Ellis Stebbins (1928-1968). The collection consists of the research materials that ultimately resulted in Stebbins’ 1973 published college history, The OCE Story. These papers also reflect his post-retirement involvements in alumni and celebratory campus events as the college's unofficial historian. Also included are speeches, articles, and correspondence documenting his deliberate gathering of history materials to form the nucleus of an institutional archive. His research materials include early campus personalities, buildings, and landmarks. The majority of the collection consists of the college's administrative and business files, including presidential correspondence, from the 1920s to the 1950s. Several major campus controversies are well documented, including the 1931 State Board of Higher Education's extensive investigation of conditions at the Oregon Normal School and of the administration of President Joseph Samuel Landers.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
For further information, see the Western Oregon University Archives Research Rules.
Copyright Information: Researchers are hereby cautioned that materials within archival and manuscript collections may be protected by copyright laws (Title 17, U.S. code). Researchers who plan to eventually publish their work are responsible to inquire about publication restrictions before beginning their research. Researchers wishing to quote from materials in any collections held by University Archives should consult the University Archivist. Reproduction of any item must contain a complete citation to the original.
Ellis Stebbins Collection, MSS 14, Western Oregon University Archives
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Oregon College of Education (Monmouth, Or.)--History
- Oregon Normal School (Monmouth, Or.)--History
- Oregon State Board of Higher Education
- Oregon State Normal School (Monmouth, Or.)--History
- Personal Names :
- Stebbins, Ellis A.--Archives
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon College of Education (Monmouth, Or.)
- Oregon Normal School (Monmouth, Or.)
- Oregon State Board of Higher Education
- Oregon state Normal School (Monmouth, Or.)
- Geographical Names :
- Monmouth (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Titles within the Collection :
- Since 1856 - historical views of the college at Monmouth
- The OCE Story