Jerry D. Belcher Collection of Oregon Agricultural College Track Photographs, 1905 PDF
- Belcher, Jerry D.
- Jerry D. Belcher Collection of Oregon Agricultural College Track Photographs
- 1905 (inclusive)19051905
- 0.01 cubic foot, including 2 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- P 128
- The Jerry D. Belcher Collection consists of Oregon Agricultural track photographs taken by Corvallis photographer, W.G. Emery.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Jerry D. Belcher attended Oregon State University in the 1960s and graduated with a bachelor's degree in education in 1969. Belcher played football for Oregon State and won the football team's 1968 Attitude and Scholarship Award.
The 1905 Oregon Agricultural College track team was the champion team of the Northwest. Forrest Smithson won the gold medal in the 110 high hurdles at the Olympics in London in 1908. Claude V. Swann graduated from OAC in 1907 and Miles Bebee Belden in 1906.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Jerry D. Belcher Collection of Oregon Agricultural College Track Photographs consists of two mounted photographic prints of 1905 track and field events. One of the images depicts Claude V. ("Skeeter") Swann completing his first place pole vault in a meet with the University of Oregon. The other image shows the Oregon Agricultural College sprinters in the high hurdles. This image is available online. The racers are identified as Belden [Miles Bebee], Graham [perhaps Thomas Rader?], Swann [Claude V.], Smithson [Forrest], and Cathey [perhaps George Andrew or Collie Flint]. The photographs were taken by William G. Emery, a Corvallis studio photographer and 1883 Oregon State graduate.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Jerry D. Belcher Collection of Oregon Agricultural College Track Photographs (P 128), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Hurdling (Track and field)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Track and field athletes--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Personal Names :
- Smithson, Forrest.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Track and field.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Emery, W. G. (creator)