Valley Migrant League photographs collection, circa 1965-1968 PDF
- Valley Migrant League photographs collection
- circa 1965-1968 (inclusive)19651968
- 1.5 cubic feet, (1,945 photographs and 1,180 safety film negatives in 3 boxes)
- Collection Number
- Org. Lot 74
- This collection contains photographs relating to the Valley Migrant League, an organization based in Woodburn, Or. that sponsored re-education programs for migrant farm workers who were being replaced by machinery. Subjects include League-sponsored activities, as well as photographs of field work and picketing by laborers.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Valley Migrant League (VML), which was founded in 1964, was first funded in May 1965 by the Office of Economic Opportunity as part of Great Society anti-poverty programs to serve migrant farm workers in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. It operated programs until the mid-1970s. The VML established its administrative headquarters in Woodburn, Or. with Area Opportunity Centers in Aumsville, Dayton, Hillsboro, Independence, Salem, Sandy, and Woodburn. Other VML programs included adult education through evening classes, Winter Day Schools, and existing community schools; publication of a newspaper, Opportunity News (and later, Relampago); job development, counseling, and placement; housing; and child care centers.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Photographs in this collection document activities sponsored by the Migrant League's (VML) community center, including education classes and social events for adults and children, as well as work done in fields by laborers, migrant medical care, and picketing. Many of the photographs also depict individuals associated with the VML, both identified and unidentified. There are a large number of safety film negatives, and many do not have matching prints. The photos date from circa 1965-1968, and photographers include Housen Photography of Woodburn, Or. and John Smith.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library prior to any use of reproductions. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use of reproductions may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright holders.
Valley Migrant League photographs collection, Org. Lot 74, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Series A: People, circa 1965-1968Return to Top
Includes Lyndon B. Johnson; Robert F. Kennedy and Kennedy rally; Tom McCall; and Wayne Morse.
Adult groups, unidentified
Children with adults
Russian children and families
Series B: Work, buildings, and benefits, circa 1965-1967Return to Top
Machinery, field workers, crops, etc.
Includes photo of bean picker at Glidewell Farm, West Stayton, or.
|circa 1965-1967, undated|
Series C: Social activities, circa 1966Return to Top
Children's groups and activities
Young adult and teenage activities
Series D: Education, undatedReturn to Top
Children in school
Vocational and industrial education
Series E: Other photographs , undatedReturn to Top
Series F: Negatives, circa 1965-1968Return to Top
Container(s): Box 3
Safety film negatives:
- 4 x 5 negative, 74-1
- 2 1/2 x 3 negatives, 74-2 through 74-26
- 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 negatives, 74-27 through 74-112
- 35 mm negatives, 74-113 through 74-409A
- 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 negatives, 74-410 through 74-467
- 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 negatives, 74-468 through 74-503
- 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 negatives, 74-504 through 74-1178
- Cut and odd dimension negatives, 74-1179 through 74-1187
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Children of migrant laborers--Oregon--Photographs.
- Hispanic Americans--Oregon--Photographs.
- Migrant agricultural laborers--Oregon--Photographs.
- Migrant labor--Oregon--Photographs.
- Corporate Names :
- Valley Migrant League (Woodburn, Or.)--Photographs.
- Geographical Names :
- Woodburn (Or.)--Photographs.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints
- Safety film negatives
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Smith, John (photographer)
- Corporate Names :
- Housen Photography (Woodburn, Or.) (photographers)