Bozeman Business and Professional Women Records, 1887-1888 PDF
- Bozeman Business and Professional Women
- Bozeman Business and Professional Women Records
- 4 linear feet
- Collection Number
- Collection 2439, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Bozeman Business and Professional Women Records consist of consists of minutes, financial records, membership lists and directories, program schedules, officers rosters, reports, memos, notices, brochures, newspaper clippings, and correspondence relevant to the club's activities. Additionally, there are president's notebooks and scrapbooks that include photographs and memorabilia. The programs of the BBPW deal with women in the professions, women political activists, community organizations, feminism, reproductive rights, equal rights, sexual abuse, education, health, personal development, civic activism, world affairs, elder care, battered women, legislative programs and sex discrimination. Local programs and events represented are National Business Women's Week, Nike Club, Women's Exchange Mart, War Relief Fund, Girls State, BBPW Scholarship, Equal Rights Amendment, International Women's Year, Pearl S. Buck Award, Women's Lobbyist Fund, Woman of Achievement, Woman of the Year, Young Careerist, Springtime in the Rockies Talent Show, and local, state and national conventions.
- Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
An alternative form of this finding aid can be found at http://www.lib.montana.edu/collect/spcoll/findaid/2439.html
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Bozeman Business and Professional Women's Club (BBPW) was organized on September 18, 1930 and chartered on October 25, 1930. They are affiliated with the Montana State Federation of Business and Professional Women's Organizations (MSFBPW) and the National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Club, Inc. (now BPW/USA). The objectives of the organization are: to elevate the standards for women; promote the interests of business and professional women with a spirit of cooperation among them; extend opportunities through education about industrial, scientific and vocational activities and provide fellowship and friendship among the members. When first established, membership was open to women who were actively engaged or retired from business or the professions but over the years membership has expanded to employed individuals, retired individuals if a member while working, students (post-secondary education), members-at-large (affiliated with State or National) and business affiliates. BBPW was incorporated as a non-profit corporation in 1986. The national organization promotes personal development, civic participation and world affairs which are represented by the programs adopted by the local Bozeman organization.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The records of the BBPW have been organized into 3 series. Series 1 contains the minutes, financial records, membership lists and directories, program schedules, officers rosters, reports, memos, notices, brochures, newspaper clippings, and correspondence relevant to the club's activities. Programs represented include public relations strategies; National Business Women's Week; the Pearl S. Buck Award; scholarships materials; the Nike Club, the Equal Rights Amendment; International Women's Year; orientation and individual development programs; the Montana BPW (papers, correspondence, history, etc); BPW/USA informational papers and materials; local, state and national newsletters and assorted ephemera and certificates. Many of these records are sparse or incomplete. In Series 2 are president's notebooks kept by Pat Simmons, Denise Brown, Emily Swanson, Mary Berquist, Roxanne Smith Klingensmith, Debbie Jurgenson and Evelyn Lane between 1983 and 1991. The notebooks contain correspondence, handwritten meeting notes, newspaper clippings and materials collected according the style of the individual president during their tenure. Series 3 is a set of scrapbooks maintained by the BBPW between 1935 and 1992 which contain many photographs of prominent members, newspaper clippings of events and programs, ephemera and convention memorabilia.
Interspersed within the records of the BBPW are programs that deal with: women in the professions, women political activists, community organizations, feminism, reproductive rights, equal rights, sexual abuse, education, health, personal development, civic activism, world affairs, elder care, battered women, legislative programs and sex discrimination. Local programs and events represented are National Business Women's Week, Nike Club, Women's Exchange Mart, War Relief Fund, Girls State, BBPW Scholarship, Equal Rights Amendment, International Women's Year, Pearl S. Buck Award, Women's Lobbyist Fund, Woman of Achievement, Woman of the Year, Young Careerist, Springtime in the Rockies Talent Show, and local, state and national conventions. Members and other individuals often mentioned or featured are: Phenie Ahern, Helen Atkins, Minnie Barclay, Mary Berquist, Norma Boetel, Dorothy Bradley, Denise Brown, Idalaire Cloninger, Mabel Cruikshank, Alice Dahl, Beatrice F. Davis, Winnefred Dorsett, Dorothy Eck, Helen Fechter, Geraldine G. Fenn, Bess Fowler, Karen Furu, Margorie Goering, Gladys Gorman, Helen Heck, Georgia Higgins, Ginny Hunt, Debbie Jurgenson, Evelyn Lane, Ruth Loucks, Helen McQuarrie, Ione Moore, Dodie Moseley, Myrtle Noraker, Hermione Peterson, Jeanette Rankin, Eloise Reese, Laurie Shadoan, Anna Pearl Sherrick, Pat Simmons, Roxanne Smith Klingensmith, Jan Strout, Emily Swanson, Marilyn Wessel, Marcia Youngman.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1-4||Series 1: Minutes and records
The history of the BBPW to 1964, bylaws, amendments and the articles of incorporation begin the records of the club. Business and program meeting minutes plus Board of Director (Officers) and Executive Board (Officers and committee chairmen) minutes have been arranged chronologically for continuity. Financial records that are incomplete and scattered include treasurer reports, yearly budgets, audit reports and P and L statements. Incomplete, scattered membership lists, program schedules, officer rosters and most directories (yearbooks) to 1990 are present. There are memos, notices, brochures, newspaper clippings, correspondence, ephemera and certificates representing only a partial record of the 70 years of the club's existence. Folders related to particular local programs include: public relations, National Business Women's Week, the Pearl S. Buck Award, scholarships, Nike club, Equal Rights Amendment, International Women's Year, and an individual development plan. Papers, correspondence, brochures and other materials from the Montana and National BPW organizations and newsletters from the national, state and Bozeman organization.
|5-6||Series 2: President's notebooks
Between 1983 and 1991 (1985-86 is missing), each individual president of the BBPW created her own notebook. The contents of the notebooks are reflective of the individual's personal style. They may contain handwritten notes for addressing the club, correspondence, program information, newspaper clippings and other papers relative to the year in office.
|7-11||Series 3: Scrapbooks
Scrapbooks created to chronicle the activities of the Bozeman Business and Professional Women's Club between 1935 and 1992. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings, photographs, ephemera, articles and programs of special meetings; information on the Young Careerist award, Woman of Achievement award, Woman of the Year award, Springtime in the Rockies Talent Show, national and state conventions, etc. This is not a complete run of years. The 1980-1984 scrapbook has been stored separately.*
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Businesswomen-Montana-Bozeman-Societies, etc
- Equal rights amendments-Montana
- International Women's Year, 1975-Montana
- National Business Women's Week
- Women in the professions-Montana-Bozeman-Societies and clubs
- Women-Montana-Bozeman-Societies and clubs
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Berquist, Mary (creator)
- Jurgenson, Debbie (creator)
- Klingensmith, Roxanne Smith (creator)
- Lane, Evelyn (creator)
- Simmons, Pat (creator)
- Swanson, Emily (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- Bozeman Business and Professional Women's Club (creator)
- Business and Professional Women/USA (creator)
- Montana State Federation of Business and Professional Women's (creator)
- National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs (creator)