Russell A. Bankson papers, 1908-1965 PDF
- Alvord, Adeline M.Bankson, Russell A. (Russell Arden), 1889-1976Marshall, Edison, 1894-1967Tuttle, W. C. (Wilbur C.), 1883-1969
- Russell A. Bankson papers
- 1908-1965 (inclusive)19081965
- 11.0 linear feet, (8 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 250
- Russell Bankson (1889-1976) was a newspaperman and fiction writer in Spokane, WA. Papers include correspondence, manuscripts, publicity and press clippings, biographical data, mementoes, and manuscripts written by others.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Russell Bankson, newspaperman and fiction writer, was born in Mt. Hope, Washington on February 21, 1889.
He attended Washington State College, Pullman from 1910-1912. He worked as reporter and editor for the Spokane Daily Chronicle, and on the editorial staff of the Spokesman-Review, both in Spokane. He contributed fiction and articles to a variety of magazines, and wrote books of western adventure and history.
During World War II, he worked for the War Relocations Authority and the War Assets Administration in Washington, DC. He was an early member of the Inland Empire Writers' Conference and served as its president from 1934-1935.
He died in 1976.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The papers include manuscripts of published and unpublished novels, together with correspondence (including 328 letters) with editors.
Major correspondents include Adeline Alvord, Edison Marshall, and James Marshall.
Manuscripts include book length, short stories, articles, newspaper articles, speeches, and miscellaneous publications. Both published and unpublished works are included. Most are set in the western United States or Canada. Book length works include multiple drafts. Among the manuscripts is a biography of Edward J. Roberts of Spokane, part of which was privately published.
Other documents include publicity and press clippings, biographical data, mementoes, and manuscripts written by others. Miscellaneous materials include the original draft of a short story by W.C. Tuttle, "Alias Whispering White."
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Russell A. Bankson papers, Ax 250, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Authors and publishers--United States
- Authors, American--20th century
- Authors, American--20th century--Correspondence
- Western stories--Authorship
- Personal Names :
- Alvord, Adeline M.--Correspondence
- Bankson, Russell A. (Russell Arden), 1889-1976--Correspondence
- Bankson, Russell A. (Russell Arden), 1889-1976--Manuscripts
- Marshall, Edison, 1894-1967--Correspondence
- Geographical Names :
- West (U.S.)--In literature
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Manuscripts for publication
- Western stories