Virgil L. Choate Collection, 1953-1957 PDF
- Choate, Virgil L.
- Virgil L. Choate Collection
- 1953-1957 (inclusive)19531957
- 0.05 cubic foot, including 25 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Choate
- The Virgil L. Choate Collection consists of ephemera and photographs assembled by Choate during his student years at Oregon State College (OSC). Choate attended OSC in 1953-1958 and earned a BS in Agricultural Education. He was a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Virgil L. Choate attended Oregon State College in 1953-1958 and earned a BS in Agricultural Education in June 1958. Choate was a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity. He was enrolled as a graduate student for one term in the fall of 1958. Virgil Lewis Choate was born on March 5, 1935 in LaGrande, Oregon; he graduated from LaGrande High School in 1953. After completing his degree at Oregon State, Choate worked for the Columbia River Bank and lived in The Dalles, Oregon. Choate received a Diamond Pioneer Award from the Oregon State University College of Agricultural Sciences in 2010 for his work in the banking sector and his service to many agriculture-related organizations and events.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Virgil L. Choate Collection consists of ephemera and photographs assembled by Choate during his student years at Oregon State College in the mid-1950s. The ephemeral items include a dance card, newspaper clippings, the January 29, 1954 Dad's Day issue of the Daily Barometer campus newspaper, a campus map, and basketball game tickets. The game tickets are for NCAA Western Regional championship games played at Gill Coliseum. The campus map indicates the locations of the Deans' offices on campus.
The photographs are all duplicate prints of the original images; most are b/w and a few are color. The bulk of the images depict activities at the Phi Delta Theta fraternity, including house dances. Images of the interior and exterior of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house and of fraternity members are also included. Several images depict the fate of University of Oregon students who were captured after an attempt to prematurely light the homecoming bonfire.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Virgil L. Choate Collection (MSS Choate), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State College--Students.
- Phi Delta Theta Fraternity. Oregon Beta Chapter.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.