A. P. (Adolphus Peter) Elkin field recordings, Undated PDF
- Elkin, A. P. (Adolphus Peter), 1891-1979
- A. P. (Adolphus Peter) Elkin field recordings
- 47 items : EC - 16 reels (3 3/4 ips, 1/2 tr. mono., 7"); WD - 31 compact discs (digital, stereo); Duration: 28:00:00
- Collection Number
- Field recordings collected in Australia (mainly Arnhem Land) (Tapes 1-13) and New Guinea (Tapes 14-16) during the 1940s and 1950s.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Adolphus Peter "A. P." Elkin (1891-1979) was an Australian anthropologist and Anglican clergyman who supported assimilation of Indigenous Australians. Elkin was born and raised in Australia, studying anthropology at university in England. His field research focused on Australian aboriginal culture.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Contents: See detailed notes on archive sheets & in reprint located in documentation file.
All items are announced on the recordings.
Durations: 62-3.1-13 EC - OI1 Australia (total = 23:21:23); 62-3.14-16 EC - OJ1 New Guinea (total = 4:46:15)
Work tape copies discarded January 2006 (62-3.1a through 62-3.16c WT) (59 reels, 7 1/2 ips, 2 tr. stereo, 7"); EC set determined to be in better condition than WT set.
Transmission Data: Digital files created 9/2011 - 62-3.1a.aif, 62-3.1b.aif, etc., through 62-3.16b.aif (all tapes have an A and B side except tape 8) (48 kHz, 24-bit)
Documentation: Archive sheets & reprint from Oceania, 6/1957, Vol. XXVII, No. 4
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Australian Aborigines
- Geographical Names :
- New Guinea
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Field recordings
- Sound Recordings