• Share:
  • Download/Print:
  • PDF
Search

Rangeland Resources Department Photographs, 1934-1982

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Oregon State University. Department of Rangeland Resources.
Title
Rangeland Resources Department Photographs
Dates
1934-1982 (inclusive)
1960-1982 (bulk)
Quantity
5.4 cubic feet, including 4700 photographs, (6 boxes, including 1 oversize box)
Collection Number
P 288
Summary
The Rangeland Resources Department Photographs document ranges and rangeland research in Oregon and other western states and were taken and assembled by Department faculty and staff. Rangeland research began at Oregon State in 1934 and an undergraduate program in range management was established in the late 1940s.
Repository
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections & Archives Research Center
Special Collections & Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
Corvallis OR
97331-4501
Telephone: 541-737-2075
Fax: 541-737-8674
scarc@oregonstate.edu
Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container list available online.
Languages
English

Historical NoteReturn to Top

The first course in range management at Oregon State, Range and Pasture Botany, was offered by the Botany Department in 1917. Additional courses were offered by the Farm Crops and Animal Husbandry Departments during the 1930s. In 1949, C.E. Poulton was hired to develop a 4-year undergraduate curriculum in range management; Poulton had a joint appointment in the Departments of Farm Crops and Animal Husbandry. In 1971, the rangeland curriculum was reorganized as the Rangeland Resources Program within the Department of Animal Science. The Department of Rangeland Resources was established 10 years later in 1981; in about 2007, it was re-named the Department of Rangeland Ecology and Management. The former Animal Sciences and Rangeland Ecology and Management Departments were merged in 2012 to form the new Animal and Rangeland Sciences Department.

Range management research began at Oregon State in 1934 with the selection of the Squaw Butte Experimental Range near Burns. In 1953, E.R. Jackman was appointed the first Range Management Specialist for the Extension Service in Oregon.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The Rangeland Resources Department Photographs consist of images taken and assembled by the department staff depicting range landscapes in Oregon. The collection also includes images of ranges in Utah, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Texas, Nevada, and Arizona. The photographs document rangeland research, livestock grazing operations, wildlife, plants, dams, insects, and recreational activities. Research projects on juniper control, pesticide use, the impact of grazing on vegetation, range management planning, effective irrigation, and brush burning are reflected in the photographs. Some of the slides include research data presented in text, charts, and graphs. The images depict locales throughout Oregon, including Long Creek, the Strawberry Mountains, John Day River, Pass Creek, Rogue National Forest, Owyhee River, and Malheur Wildlife Refuge.

The collection consists predominantly of color slides (4651); 49 prints are also part of the collection. Most of the slides have been assigned a unique number, ranging from 1 to 4236. Two inventories accompany the slides and provide detailed descriptions of the images. One is arranged by subject and the other by number. The subject guide lists the numbers of slides that were assembled for particular presentations.

A report on state-owned rangelands that references research projects depicted in the photographs and a survey of range lands in Oregon Grazing District #7 (Gilliam, Morrow, and Umatilla Counties) are also included with the collection. The survey includes maps.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Preferred Citation

Rangeland Resources Department Photographs (P 288), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top