Willamette Valley Migrant Families Scrapbook, 1965 PDF
- Willamette Valley Migrant Families Scrapbook
- 1965 (inclusive)19651965
- 1 linear foot (1 spiral bound scrapbook)
- Collection Number
- MSS 6
- One spiral bound scrapbook that contains black and white snapshots and brief captions of migrant workers and their families living in the Willamette Valley.
- Western Oregon University Archives
345 N. Monmouth Ave.
- Access Restrictions
Collection is available for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided, in part, by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. Funding for archival supplies made possible, in part, by a grant from the Polk County Cultural Coalition.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
One spiral bound scrapbook (8” x 11”) that contains black and white snapshots and brief captions of migrant workers and their families living in the Willamette Valley. This scrapbook documents that daily life of migrant workers and their families, including housing, schools and activities. A majority of the photographs were taken in October 1965. Includes one sketch of a man on the on the last page of the notebook.
Photographs of specific locations in Oregon include Buena Vista, Salem, Falls City (heavily represented), and the Willamette River. A few family names appear in the scrapbook, including Duran, Caudillo, Castillo, and Raynero. Specific farms and migrant camps photographed include Mitoma, Krebs, Stonebrook, Green Villa, Lyons, Campbell, Marx, and Cobine. Other topics highlighted in the scrapbook include hops, farms, ferries, lumber tugs, schools, and children of migrant workers. Two pre-schools are included in the photographs; Salem Day Care Center at Jason Lee Church and the Kindergarten VML (Valley Migrant League) kindergarten at the Opportunity Center in Independence.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Photocopies of scrapbook are available for researcher use.
For further information, see the Western Oregon University Archives Research Rules.
Copyright Information: Researchers are hereby cautioned that materials within archival and manuscript collections may be protected by copyright laws (Title 17, U.S. code). Researchers who plan to eventually publish their work are responsible to inquire about publication restrictions before beginning their research. Researchers wishing to quote from materials in any collections held by University Archives should consult the University Archivist. Reproduction of any item must contain a complete citation to the original.
Willamette Valley Migrant Families Scrapbook, MSS 6, Western Oregon University Archives
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Photograph scrapbook of migrant worker families in the Willamette Valley
1 spiral bound notebook, 8" × 11"
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- African American children
- Children of migrant laborers—Education
- Hispanic Americans--Oregon
- Mexican Americans--Oregon
- Migrant agricultural laborers--Oregon
- Migrant labor--Oregon
- Geographical Names :
- Buena Vista (Or.)
- Falls City (Or.)
- Independence (Or.)
- Salem (Or.)
- Willamette River Valley (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :