Media Services Moving Images, 1957-2002 PDF
- Oregon State University. Media Services.
- Media Services Moving Images
- 1957-2002 (inclusive)19572002
- 13 cubic feet, including 130 films reels, 57 videotapes, 12 sound recordings, and 40 color slides, (12 boxes and 21 film cans)
- Collection Number
- FV P 119
- The Media Services Moving Images consist of motion picture films produced by the Classroom Television department; videotapes recorded or produced by the Communication Media Center; raw film footage and media elements; and streaming video files produced by Media Services. They include recordings of classroom lectures for hygiene and health education classes; commencement and other special events; and lectures by faculty and visiting speakers at Oregon State University as well as training and informational tapes pertaining to a variety of topics including cultural diversity, computer graphics, and multimedia technology.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container list available online.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Instructional Resources and Materials Center (IRAM) was established in 1965 to provide educational media services such as film ordering; audio-visual equipment rental; and art and photographic services. The Classroom Television Center was officially established in 1966 to support various instructional and promotional uses of television, which had been developing on campus since the mid-1950s. In 1982, IRAM was combined with the Classroom Television Center to become the Communication Media Center (CMC).
The unit became known as Media Services in about 2004. Media Services provides media and instructional technology to advance and support learning, academic programs, research, administrative functions, and outreach. The core functions include web development and systems support, quality media production, classroom technologies, audio/video systems, faculty support, and student access to computing and media resources.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Media Services Moving Images consist of motion picture films produced by the Classroom Television Center; videotapes recorded or produced by the Communication Media Center or Media Services; raw film footage and media elements assembled or prepared by the Communication Media Center; and streaming video files.
The motion picture films produced by the Classroom Television Center include lectures for a General Hygiene course taught by interinstitutional television from 1959 through the mid-1960s. These films were broadcast throughout Oregon via KOAC-TV. The course was developed by Carl L. Anderson, Professor of Hygiene and Health Education. The lectures address heredity, personal health, nutrition and exercise, safety, substance abuse, mental health, family living, disease prevention, and health services. One film of Dr. Wendell Slabaugh recording a chemistry lesson for inter-institutional television is also included.
Two other motion picture films of note in the collection are a 1973 film, Gotta Start Somewhere ... Minorities in the Mass Media, documenting a workshop and internship program at Oregon State University and Nuthin Comes Easy, produced in the late 1970s or early 1980s, about OSU support services for minority students.
The collection also includes videotapes that were recorded or produced by the Communication Media Center. These include recordings of commencement and graduation exercises, University Day, and other special events; lectures by faculty and guest speakers; recordings of lectures or demonstrations for OSU courses; teleconferences and seminars; and presentations and forums for faculty and staff. Guest lecturers represented in the videotapes include Arthur Caplan, Sylvia Earle, Fred Friendly, John Kenneth Galbraith, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Clarence Page. Video productions providing training on classroom technology, desktop publishing, graphics, and instructional presentations are included. A production prepared for the 2001 President's Club dinner highlights major donations and gifts to Oregon State University. Of special note are a 1979 production on cross cultural training and an undated recording on immigration policy in the United States.
About a third of the collection consists of an unprocessed accession of raw motion picture film footage and media elements including sound recordings, film strips, color slides and related materials that were assembled and/or prepared by the Communication Media Center. Most items are not labeled, and consequently, the subjects are unknown. Many appear to pertain to the operation of scientific equipment or research projects.
Streaming video files of Oregon State University commencement ceremonies in 2001 and 2002 produced by Mecia Services are housed in ScholarsArchive@OSU and are available online. These include the first OSU outdoor graduation ceremony, at Reser Stadium, in 2001.
All films are 16 mm and include both color and b/w with and without sound. All videotapes are VHS format. The sound recordings include audiocassettes and reel-to-reel recordings.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Media Services Moving Images (FV P 119), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Chemistry--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon.
- Commencement ceremonies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Health education--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon.
- Minority college students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Television in higher education--Oregon.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State College--Faculty.
- Oregon State College--Students.
- Oregon State University--Faculty.
- Oregon State University--Research.
- Oregon State University--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Motion pictures (visual works).
- Silent films.
- Streaming video.
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Anderson, C. L. (Carl Leonard), 1901- (creator)
- Caplan, Arthur L. (creator)
- Earle, Sylvia A., 1935- (creator)
- Friendly, Fred W. (creator)
- Galbraith, John Kenneth, 1908-2006. (creator)
- Le Guin, Ursula K., 1929- (creator)
- Page, Clarence, 1947- (creator)
- Slabaugh, Wendell H. (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- KOAC (Television station : Corvallis, Or.) (creator)
- Oregon State University. Communication Media Center. (creator)
- Oregon State University. Instructional Resources and Materials Center. (creator)