Harry Sions papers, 1947-1975 PDF
- Sions, Harry, 1906-1975
- Harry Sions papers
- 1947-1975 (inclusive)19471975
- 13.5 linear feet, (9 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 836
- Henry Sions (1906-1975) was a war correspondent and a book and magazine editor. The collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, speeches, clippings, pamphlets, and publications.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Henry Sions (1906-1975) was a war correspondent and a book and magazine editor. He married Louise Lux, who was his assistant at Holiday Magazine, in 1947.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection includes correspondence, manuscripts, speeches, clippings, pamphlets, and publications.
The collection was donated in three stages, 1977, May 1978 and October 1978. The correspondence series is very large, with over 20,000 letters accounted for.
The 1977 accession contains professional correspondence organized alphabetically by name, personal correspondence, and a few subject files.
The May 1978 accession contains professional correspondence organized alphabetically by name. This accession also includes editorial meeting correspondence, intra-office memoranda, correspondence relating to employment at Little, Brown and Co. Publishers, correspondence with the American Civil Liberties Union, American Jewish Committee, and Tougaloo College of Mississippi. Also available in this accession are manuscripts, speeches and related correspondence.
The October 1978 accession consists of correspondence, primarily condolence letters, organized alphabetically by name, and correspondence between Louise Lux Sions and Little, Brown and Co. regarding Harry Sions. Also included are interviews, expense records, clippings and issues of the publication Holiday Magazine, 1956-1965.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
[Identification of item], Harry Sions papers, Ax 836, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Editors--United States
- Editors--United States--Correspondence
- Periodical editors--United States
- Publishers and publishing--United States--History--20th century
- War correspondents--United States
- Personal Names :
- Sions, Harry, 1906-1975
- Sions, Harry, 1906-1975--Correspondence
- Form or Genre Terms :