UW Ethnomusicology Archives concert recordings: UW Student Ensembles (video), 2002-05-18 PDF
- Sercombe, Laurel; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- UW Ethnomusicology Archives concert recordings: UW Student Ensembles (video)
- 2 items : OT - 2 vcts (Digital8, digital, stereo, color); EC - 2 vcts (S-VHS, stereo, color); WD - 1 DVD (digital, stereo); Duration: 2:03:18
- Collection Number
- Concert sponsored by University of Washington Ethnomusicology Students Association, May 18, 2002, 7:00pm, Brechemin Auditorium, University of Washington. This concert features student performing groups playing music styles from Australia, Ghana, Venezuela, Southern Philippines, Zimbabwe, and Peru.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Laurel Sercombe has been the Archivist for the Ethnomusicology Program at the University of Washington since 1982. She has co-produced a series of music recordings with Northwest Folklife, lectured for classes in Ethnomusicology, Library and Information Science, and American Indian Studies, and designed and taught a course on sound archiving. In 1998 she received a pre-doctoral Smithsonian Research Fellowship and in 2001 received her Ph.D. with the dissertation And Then It Rained: Power and Song in Western Washington Coast Salish Myth Narratives. She is a member of the Music Library Association, the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, and the Society for Ethnomusicology, for which she served as Current Discographer 1992–2000 and Treasurer 2000–2004. She serves on the boards of Jack Straw Productions and Northwest Heritage Resources. In 2013 she organized and hosted "Sounds of the World," a series of six programs for UWTV featuring film footage from the Robert Garfias Collection in the Ethnomusicology Archives.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Recorded by Laurel Sercombe on a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV 230.
Related collection W1 World 2002-12 (audio recording of same concert).
Contents summary: 2002-13.1: Didjeridu Ensemble (The Didjeridorkestra) led by Stewart Dempster; Akoma Ensemble (Ghanaian) led by Yaw Amponsah; Los Gaiteros Supersonicos (Gaita) led by Rob Carroll.
2002-13.2: UW Kulintang Ensemble led by Pam Costes; Mahonyera (Shona mbira) led by Claire Jones; Monica Y Sus Diablitos (Afro-Peruvian) led by Monica Rojas (cuts off during Monica's dance)
EC set digitized 2/2009 and DVD work disc produced (includes entire concert) (duration = 2:03:18)
Documentation: Concert program, flyer, and Seattle Times newspaper announcement
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
1 videotape : VCT; Tracks: 5
Recorded by Laurel SercombeRelated collection W1 World 2002-12 (audio recording of same concert). Includes first half of concert featuring: Didjeridu Ensemble (The Didjeridorkestra); Akoma Ensemble (Ghanaian); Los Gaiteros Supersonicos (Gaita). For detailed description of contents see concert program.
1 videotape : VCT; Tracks: 10
Recorded by Laurel SercombeRelated collection W1 World 2002-12 (audio recording of same concert). Includes second half of concert featuring: Los Gaiteros Supersonicos (Gaita) continued; UW Kulintang Ensemble; Mahonyera (Shona mbira); Monica Y Sus Diablitos (Afro-Peruvian) (cut off). Note: video runs out after second song of Afro-Peruvian ensemble, 2 songs remain on the audio recording. For detailed description of contents see concert program.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Shona--Africa--Southern Africa
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Geographical Names :
- Philippines--Asia--Southeast Asia
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Students Association (performer)