John Gates papers, 1853-1909 PDF
- Gates, John, 1827-1888
- John Gates papers
- 1853-1909 (inclusive)18531909
- 2.0 linear feet, (6 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 036
- John Gates (1827-1888) was a construction engineer for the Oregon Steam Navigation Co. and the Oregon Railway and Navigation Co., and from 1885 to 1888 he was mayor of Portland, Oregon. The collection consists of correspondence, financial records, legal documents, diaries, scrapbook pages, steamboat plans and inventions, and photographs.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
John Gates (1827-1888) was a native of Mercer, Maine who came to Portland, Oregon in 1860. He became a construction engineer for the Oregon Steam Navigation Co. and the Oregon Railway and Navigation Co. From 1885 to 1888 he was mayor of Portland.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of correspondence, financial records, legal documents, diaries, scrapbook pages, steamboat plans and inventions, and photographs.
The correspondence includes professional correspondence relating to the Gates' inventions for steamboat improvements.
Legal documents cover the years 1850-1905. There are also diaries by John Gates Jr. which cover the years 1902-1905.
Plans and specifications by Gates for steamboats and specific inventions are included in the collection.
Photographs include vintage prints, primarily boudoirs, by Southern California photographers E.A. Bonine, F.H. Rogers, and Ellis & Son. One image is by Heath & Smith of Portland, Maine; one by R.G. Morrision of Seattle, one by S.B. Graham of Portland, OR and four by Partridge of Portland, OR.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], John Gates papers, Ax 036, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
PapersReturn to Top
Photographs (PH186)Return to Top
scenes from all over US, c. 1900.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Civil engineers--Oregon--Diaries
- Railroad engineering--Oregon
- Railroads--Oregon--Design and construction
- Steamboats--Design and construction
- Personal Names :
- Gates, John, 1827-1888
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Legal documents