• Share:
  • Download/Print:
  • PDF
Search

Carl Edward Magnusson photograph collection, 1905-1951

Overview of the Collection

Collector
Magnusson, Carl Edward, 1872-1941
Title
Carl Edward Magnusson photograph collection
Dates
1905-1951 (inclusive)
1936-1948 (bulk)
Quantity
1.05 cubic feet (4 boxes)
176 negatives (2 boxes) ; various sizes
178 photographs (2 boxes) ; various sizes
Collection Number
PH0648
Summary
Views of the classes, laboratories and equipment of the University of Washington Engineering College
Repository
University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections.
Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900
Seattle, WA
98195-2900
Telephone: 206-543-1929
Fax: 206-543-1931
speccoll@uw.edu
Access Restrictions

Collection is open to the public.

Additional Reference Guides

These materials form part of the Carl Edward Magnusson Papers, which are described and indexed in the guide to the Carl Edward Magnusson Papers .

Languages
English


Biographical NoteReturn to Top

Carl Edward Magnusson was a professor of electrical engineering at the University of Washington from 1904-1941; his main interest was in hydroelectric power in Washington. Magnusson's appointment to full professor is considered to mark the start of the Department of Electrical Engineering as an independent unit on campus. He was department chair from 1906-1917 and Dean of the Engineering College from 1917-1929. Magnusson believed in having a close relationship with industry and had practicing engineers lecture in his classes. In about 1910 he took a leave of absence for two years to work for the General Electric Company. As a result of his working relationship with GE, the company donated an electric oscillograph in 1913, which lead to the development of a course in electric transients, possibly the first such course to be offered in an American college. In 1919 he proposed building a 230-kv line from the Canadian border to Los Angeles, connecting the three state region; the idea was eventually put into place many years later. A 1932 issue of the University of Washington newspaper noted that Magnusson had won international fame for his studies of Lichtenberg figures. During the 1930s, he also served as an advisor on the construction of the Grand Coulee Project on the Columbia River.

Carl Magnusson died in 1941.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

Views of the classes, laboratories and equipment of the University of Washington Engineering College between 1921 and 1951, engineering exhibits at the Puyallup Fair, and electrical power projects for Baker River, Chelan Station, Lake Cushman, Hungry Horse Dam and other places. The collection includes materials that were created after Magnusson's death.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Alternative Forms Available

View selections from the collection in digital format

Restrictions on Use

Restrictions may exist on reproduction, quotation, or publication. Contact Special Collections, University of Washington Libraries for details.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

 

University of Washington Electrical Engineering DepartmentReturn to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
Electrical Engineering Classes
Box/Folder item
1/1 1a
The first electrical engineering field trip  
circa 1905
1/1 1b
Spring class on alternating currents taught by R.E. Lindbloom  
From accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: D.F. Anstett, W.B. Garn, J.D. Harisberger, A. Watton, J.R. Whitman, E.C. McIntosh, P. Krook, R.A. Forde, H.M. Swarm, R.J. Hart. Bottom Row: G.D. Osterud, J.W. Harman, J.L. Lambrecht, D.E. Edwards, G.W. Faurot, H.H. Koski, J.M. Gaffney, G.J. Skomerza, Professor R.E. Lindblom
1937
1/1 2
Winter class on alternating currents taught by R. E. Lindblom  
From accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: B.L. Havens, E.A. Grankull, J.R. Anderson, F.B. Nather, L. D. Bresolin, N.T. Sandstedt, G.K. Nojiri. Bottom Row: S.W. Oliver, C. Burson, C.W. Goodrich, R.W. Griffiths, P.O. Vulliet, E.R. Kennedy, Professor R. E. Lindblom
1937
1/1 3
Winter class on alternating currents taught by L.B. Cochran  
From accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: B. Evans, W. Harisberger, J.M. Webster, G.D. Sheckels, J. Cohen. Bottom Row: M.R. Conner, J.W. Pruett, L.V. Steinke, W. Lindsey, S.L. Pugel, W.T. Harrold, Professor L.B. Cochran
1937
1/2 4
Spring quarter class on alternating currents taught by Edgar A. Loew  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: S.K. Burd, R.K. Walker, D.E. Westby, R.M. Gilbert, E.E. Shelton, B. W. Weber, C.C. Hahn, R.S. Seymor. Bottom Row: U. Yorioka, W.H. Barnes, J.R. Benjamin, J.B. Reed, R.L. Pangburn, J.T. Conn, Professor E.A. Loew
1938
1/2 5
Winter quarter class on alternating currents taught by L. B. Cochran  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: H. Kurose, R.W. Paulson, E. Shukovsky, Y. Munakata, C.B. Lee, H.R. Guptill. Bottom Row: V.L. Palmer, D.G DeCourcey, W.W. Wells, K.R. Dennis, C.M. Mushkin, Professor L.B. Cochran
1938
1/2 6
Winter quarter class on alternating currents taught by R.E. Lindblom  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: E. G. Newsom, Henry Straub, J.L. Eitel, H.E. Aldridge, H.E. Mitchell, T.W. Jeffs, R.R. Van Voorhis. Bottom Row: L.A. Dunstan, J.H. Skog, F.M. Treffinger, G.E. Sylvester, A.B. Jacobsen, Professor R.E. Lindblom
1938
1/3 7
Spring quarter class on alternating currents taught by R.E. Lindblom  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: A.I. Chalfant, C.E. Hunstad, B. Brackett, J.C. Firey, S.E. Edelstein. Bottom Row: J. Rollefson, R.D. Galloway, D.F. Higgenbotham, G.V. Anderson, R.R. McFadden, Professor R.E. Lindblom
1939
1/3 8
Winter quarter class on alternating currents taught by G.L. Hoard  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: B.G. Lind, D.C. Cook, R.S. Crawford, G.G. Smith, P.A. Pearson, H.M. Smedstad, L.J. Alexander. Bottom Row: S.K. Burd, W.M. Hammerschmith, J.E. Hogg, F. Thompson, P.S. Hedene, J.P. Jones, W.A. Field, Professor G.L. Hoard
1939
1/3 9
Winter quarter class taught by R.E. Lindblom  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: G. E. James, R.J.M. Lycksell, H.J. Shaw, G.K. Peters, A.O. Torget, F.S. Preston, C.A. Sedam. Bottom Row: W.H. Bryant, C.W. Swain, R.W. Lantz, V.H. Bush, D.C. Peterson, R.L. Skone, M.S. Hale, Professor R.E. Lindblom
1939
1/4 10
Spring quarter class taught by G.S. Smith  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. R.E. Lee, J.R. Jerviss, E.E. Hekkanan, E.J. Warchol, P.J. Komen, A.B. Powers, J.L. Shreve, J.M. Telford, W.E. Wikstrom, M. Bean, B.F. DuBois, B.F. Harrell, F.L. Strum, B.R. Dawson, J.A. Tudor, B.G. Lindberg, N. Jacobus, C.V. Larson, W.D. Paterson, W.N. Twelves, R.W. Illman, Professor G.S. Smith
1940
1/4 11
Winter quarter class taught by G.R. Shuck  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: W.B. Smith, T.V. Zaloudek, T.C. Ashleman, M.B. Walker, T.D. Bender, H.J. Winsor, W.E. Meneley. Bottom Row: R.J. Dorwart, J.Y. Fujihira, G.F. Moon, T. Muramoto, E.A. Knudsen, K. Nakahiro, D.A. Foote, Professor G.R. Shuck
1940
1/4 12a-b
Winter quarter class taught by R.E. Lindblom  
Scan from negative 12aFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: A.D. Cole, C.F. Eberstein, D.J. Gjesdahl, P.B. Tack, B.J. Winter, C.L. Rehkoph, R.J. Nunner. Bottom Row: P.B. Holden, T.H. Murphy, H.E. Davies, O.O. Pardee, M.W. Alnutt, C.J. Coffin, W.O. Geisert, J.C. Laush, Professor R.E. Lindblom
1940
1/4 13
Winter quarter taught by G.L. Hoard  
Scan from the negativeFrom acompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: R.A. Nova, G.J. Schafer, R.E. Lee, J.H. Spencer, K.A. Moore. Bottom Row: J.R. Curtain, Y. Mukai, L.S. Sherman, C.S. Noritake, R.B. Gallup, Professor G.L. Hoard
1940
1/5 14a-b
Spring quarter class taught by G.L. Hoard  
Scan from negative 14aFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: J. Reddie, C.B. Wilson, N. Arnold, W.J. Linder, R.E. Frink, R.W. Mac Williams. Bottom Row: R.L. Simmonds, R.E. Wilcox, C.M. Gilbert, M. Kaminoff, R.V. Harris, J.H. Foster, Professor G.L. Hoard.
1941
1/5 15
Winter quarter class taught by R.E. Lindblom  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. G. Anderson, R.H. Shipek, G.E. Deal, O.R. Christensen, R.L. Boothroyd, L. D. Garnett, J.J. Losey, W.W. Hicks, R.H. Hoglund, Professor R.E. Lindblom
1941
1/5 16
Winter quarter class taught by G.R. Shuck  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. H.L. Rehkopf, D.T. Drake, M.R. Wood, L.C. Osen, W.L. Flock, S.A. Nelson, C.S. Bartholomew, Professor G.R. Shuck
1941
1/6 17
Spring quarter class taught by G.L. Hoard  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: G.W. Faris, D.L. Wylie, J.B. McDonald, J.W. Ward, J.J. Stein, C.K. Juhola. Bottom Row: M.L. Palmquist, S.E. Cornelius, E.E. Greene, W.H. Johnson, R.E. McNeal, R.A. Peters, Professor G.L. Hoard
1942
1/6 18
Summer quarter class taught by G.R. Shuck  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: J.W. McCoy, G.C. Winsor, R.E. Pederson, J.R. Mitchell, G.R. Strandberg, S.D. Overby. Bottom Row: B.F. Bain, A.R. Harmon, I.M. Jacobs, A.R. True, Professor G.R. Shuck.
1942
1/6 19
Winter quarter class taught by G.R. Shuck  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: J.J. Wedel, R.E. Wilcox, K.W. Schmoe, J.R. Bennett, R.D. Donley, I.S. St. John, J. McIntyre. Bottom Row: H. Adolphson, B. Nakasone, G.W. Faris, M.H. Brockman, R.O. Petrick, H.V. Nelson, Professor G.R. Shuck
1942
1/7 20
Summer through fall quarter class taught by G.R. Shuck  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: T.J. Cross, F.C. Bruya, G.R. Rehkopf, M.W. Rosen, I.J. Stampalia, E.F. Magnusson, R.E. Hull, K.C. Anderson. Bottom Row: C.A. Johnson, R.Bacchi, W.J. Smith, D.E. Fisher, M.L. Gibbs, E.Peck, D.C. Rogers, Professor G.R. Shuck
1943
1/7 21
Winter quarter class taught by Edgar A. Loew  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L to R. Top Row: W. C. Galloway, W.A. Harman, T.E. Ellis, R.L. Shahan, G. Bull, D.F. Hepp, W. Tustin. Bottom Row: R.L. Haug, E.M. Thompson, A.V. Gangnes, R.A. Magnuson, L. Elliott, I.W. Lee, Professor E.A. Loew
1943
1/7 22
Winter quarter class taught by G.S. Smith  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: W.C. Schermer, K.W. Thomas, G.B. Roger, R.W. Hunziker, M.M. Bemis, R. Swanberg. Bottom Row: R. Erickson, J.A. Ziebarth, R.H. Holt, D.R. Brown, F.C. Stewart, G.J. Loomis, Professor G.S. Smith.
1943
1/7 23
Summer through Fall quarter class taught by G.L. Hoard  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: W.G. Kelley, V.H. Grgurinovitch, W.R. Garland, S.B. Hammond, T.A. Jones, J.A. Dinnetz, F.R. Hedding, R.L. Holmes, D.C. Olson, L.C. Hawkes, D.L. Dye. Bottom Row: J.A. Gregg, J.H. Miller, M.E. Ives, T.P. Price, R.E. Connally, J.A. Murphy, J.A. O'Hearne, A.P. Keno, Professor G.L. Hoard
1944
1/7 24
Winter class taught by V.C. Palmer  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: R.J. Murray, G.C. Martin, L.F. Garton, P. McMurray, C.T. Matson, R.E. Osgood, J.E. Jones, JF. Burdon, R.D. Burnett. Bottom Row: R.E. Jones, D.W. Smyth, D.E. Stewart, H.E. King, J.I. Sweeney, D.E. Black, J.D Burr, J.W. Richardson, Fitzpatrick, Professor V.C. Palmer.
1944-1945
1/7 25
March through June semester class taught by L.B. Cochran  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: G.E. Bockmier, S. Damis, R.V. Longe, R.J. Ringlee, H.C. Vivian, R.C. Small. Bottom Row: G.D. Hall, E.T. O'Sullivan, R. Shank, D.W. Sartwell, V.T. Francis, R.E. Wilhite, Professor L.B. Cochran
1945
1/7 26
March through June semester class taught by W.R. Hill  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: G. Zoret, R.E. Gill, M. Head, J.S. Black, C.J. Nordstrom, D.D. Young, D.D. Whyte, C.E. Sorensen. Bottom Row: R.L. Riese, T.D. Fuller, R.F. Athow, H.T. Fogelquist, R.J. Pascoe, W.A. Autio, D.L. Pastell, A.L. Schiffmann, Professor W.R. Hill
1945
1/7 27
July through October class taught by A.V. Eastman  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: R.J. Thomas, S.F. Miller, W.L Holmes, R.J. Whiting, K.C. Steurnagel, D.M. Anselm, T.W. Irwin, C.W. Clay, J.P. Goodfellow. Bottom Row: D.W. Worf, D.W. Morrison, J.A. Gonnason, D.W. Nelson, E.E. Bolles, L.C. Sutherland, O.R. Meyer, L.M. Patten, Professor A.V. Eastman.
1945
1/8 28
Summer quarter class taught by R.E. Lindblom  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: B.J. Roberts, B.L. Harris, R. Osterman, H.L. Fritz, J.H. Fisher, D.L. Pastell. Bottom Row: W.E. Brugman, M.R. Wood, D.P. Timo, H.M. Willey, D.D. Whyte, Professor R.E. Lindblom
1946
1/8 29
Winter quarter class taught by R.E. Lindblom  
Scan from the negativeFrom accompanying material: L. to R. Top Row: C.W. Carpenter, D.M. Langston, R.W. Wall, H.R. Maine, G.H. Hage, R.A. Wilson, H.J. Engebretson, R.L. Hurtle. Bottom Row: (Negative is torn) Shelton, J.A. Gonnason, B.S. Yaplee, J.D. Cockrell, W.P. Jackson, L.M. Dowling, Professor R.E. Lindblom
1947
1/9 30-31
Unidentified class
circa 1930s
1/10 32
Unidentified class of four men in Navy uniforms
Scan from the negative
circa 1940s
1/10 33
Unidentified class in uniform taught by A.V. Eastman
Scan from the negative
circa 1942
1/10 34
Unidentified class taught by R.E. Lindblom
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/10 35
Unidentified class taught by R.E. Lindblom
circa 1948

Buildings and EquipmentReturn to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
Laboratories in the Old Engineering Hall
Engineering Hall was built as Machinery Hall for the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in 1909. Following the AYPE, the building was used by the departments of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. It was torn down in 1957 and replaced by the Mechanical Engineering Building.
Box/Folder item
1/11 36
Shelves of field rheostats
circa 1908-1957
1/11 37
Shelves of weights or batteries
circa 1908-1957
1/11 38
Shelves of scales, water cans and solenoids, and a battery charging station
circa 1908-1957
1/11 39
Shelves of scales, terminal boards and inductance coils
circa 1908-1957
1/12 40
Interior of the Electrical Lab
January 11, 1916
1/12 41-42
Interior of the Electrical Lab  
circa 1928
1/12 43
Interior of the Electrical Lab showing D.C. Sec. 9 & 11
after 1928
Photographs of Architectural drawings of the Electrical Engineering Building
The Electrical Engineering Building was built in 1948, with the exception of the fourth floor that was added in 1972
Box/Folder item
1/13 44
Basement
circa 1948
1/13 45
Basement generator room
circa 1948
1/13 46
Roof and penthouse
circa 1948
1/13 47
D.C. Machinery Lab
circa 1948
Electrical Engineering Building Construction
Box/Folder item
1/14 48-49
Cars in a dirt lot
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/14 50
Site following excavation
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/14 51-52
Framing support pillars
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/14 53
Basement construction with piles of lumber
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/14 54-56
Framing the basement and first floor  
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/14 57-63
Pouring concrete for the first floor
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/14 64-67
Framing the second floor
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/14 68-69
Third floor construction
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/14 70-73
Interior Construction
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
Exterior views of the Electrical Engineering Building
Box/Folder item
1/15 74
Exterior during construction
James O. Sneddon, University of Washington (Photographer)
circa 1948
1/15 75-77
Exterior views
James O. Sneddon, University of Washington (Photographer)
undated
1/15 78
Exterior view of a stairwell
James O. Sneddon, University of Washington (Photographer)
undated
1/15 79
View from inside a stairwell to another stairwell
James O. Sneddon (Photographer)
undated
1/15 80-81
Exterior views
undated
Alternating Current Machinery Lab
Box/Folder item
1/16 82-89
Interior views of the Alternating Current Machinery Lab
circa 1948
1/16 90-91
Interior view of the Alternating Current Machinery Lab  
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/16 92
Students in the Alternating Current Machinery Lab
James O. Sneddon, University of Washington (Photographer)
circa 1948
Direct Current Machinery Lab
Box/Folder item
1/17 93
Interior of the DC Machinery Lab
Scan from the negative
circa 1948
1/17 94-95
Students in the DC Machinery Lab  
James O. Sneddon, University of Washington (Photographer)
circa 1948
1/17 96-97
Students in the DC Machinery lab
E.F. Marten (Photographer)
circa 1948
1/17 98
Interior of the DC Machinery lab
undated
1/17 99-101
Equipment in the DC Machinery lab
undated
Unidentified location
Box/Folder item
1/18 102-104
Panels, possibly in the basement
undated
1/18 105
Possibly the Radio lab
Scan from the negative
undated
1/18 106
Students in the Radio lab  
James O. Sneddon, University of Washington (Photographer)
undated
1/18 107
Interior of a laboratory
undated
Electrical Engineering Equipment Diagrams
Box/Folder item
1/19 108
Circuit Diagram of A.C. Machinery Laboratory Switchboard
undated
1/19 109
Circuit Diagram of typical AC Testing section in the AC Machinery Laboratory
undated
1/20 110-111
Connection diagram of AC Alternator
undated
1/21 112-113
Diagram of AC Ammeter and Wattmeter Shorting Device
undated
1/22 114
Photograph of a D.C. Ammeter
undated
1/22 115
Diagram of an Artificial Transmission Line Data
Scan from the negative
undated
Box
4 116
Automatic switches
1 : Negative
undated
Box/Folder
1/23 117
Sectional view of Battery
undated
1/23 118
Diagram of Delta Connected Capacitor
Scan from the negative
March 22, 1946
1/24 119
Diagram of Direct-Acting Generator-Voltage Regulator
undated
1/25 120
Diagram of D.C. Ammeter Shunt Box
undated
1/26 121
Circuit Diagram of D.C. Machinery Laboratory Switch Board
Scan from the negative
undated
1/26 122
Circuit Diagram of Typical D.C. Testing Section. D.C. Machinery Laboratory
undated
1/27 123
Photograph of Drive Shaft
undated
1/27 124
Electrodynamometer Type Meter
Scan from the negative
undated
1/27 125
Wiring Diagram of a Flynn Weischel Motor
Scan from the negative
undated
1/28 126
Circuit Diagram for Operation of a Flynn Weichsel M.G. Set
undated
1/29 127
Galvanometer system
undated
1/29 128
Hot Wire and Electrostatic Type Meters
Scan from the negative
undated
1/30 129
Ignition Rectifier Circuit Diagram
undated
1/30 130
Loading Unit Circuit Diagram
Scan from the negative
undated
1/30 131
D'Arsonval Permanent Magnet Type Meter
Scan from the negative
undated
1/30 132
Three types of meters
Scan from the negative
undated
1/30 133
Diagram of motor
Scan from the negative
undated
1/31 134
Diagram of Ohm Milliammeter
undated
1/31 135
Diagram of Permanent-Magnet Moving-Coil Mechanism
Scan from the negative
undated
1/31 136
Diagram of Phase Sequence Meter
Scan from the negative
undated
1/31 137
Diagram of Potentiometer
Scan from the negative
undated
1/32 138
Shunt Box for Ammeter No. 135
undated
1/33 139
Simpson Electric Company model A display cabinet
undated
1/34 140
Diagram of Switch setting
1 : Drawing
undated
1/34 141
Diagram of Thermocouple and Rectifier Meter Circuits
Scan from the negative
undated
1/35 142
AC Voltmeter
undated
1/35 143-144
D.C. Voltmeter
undated
1/36 145
Wattmeter  
undated
1/36 146
Diagram of a Wattmeter and Circuit Connections
Scan from the negative
undated
1/36 147-162
Unknown equipment
Scan from the negative
undated
1/36 163
Unknown equipment
Scan from the negative
undated
1/36 164-165
Diagrams of unknown equipment
Scan from the negative
undated
Lab Signage
Box/Folder item
1/37 166-167
Methods of Artificial Respiration
undated
Power comparison signs
These signs show how much power is generated or used doing manual labor for a certain period of time.
Box/Folder item
1/37 168
Power used in carrying a hod for 6 hours  
Written on photo: "Enough to run an electric sewing machine"
undated
1/37 169
Power used in hammering for 8 hours
Written on photo: "Enough for a heating pad on 'low'".
undated
1/37 170
Power used in pumping water for 10 hours
Written on photo: 'Enough to run a large household fan."
undated
1/37 171
Power used in shoveling loose dirt for 10 hours
Written on photo: "Enough to run an electric razor."
undated
1/37 172
Power used in wheeling material for 10 hours  
Written on photo: "Enough to run six electric clocks."
undated
1/38 173
Professor Lindblom standing with power comparison signage
undated
1/38 174
Professor Lindblom and two other men standing with power comparison signage  
undated

ExhibitsReturn to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
University of Washington Exhibits at Puyallup Fair
1936
Box/Folder item
1/39 175
Exhibits for Aeronautical Engineering Department and Electrical Engineering Department
1936
1/39 176
Exhibits for Ceramics and School of Mines
1936
1/39 177
Exhibit for Civil Engineering Department
1936
1/39 178
Exhibit for College of Forestry
1936
1/39 179
Exhibit for Electrical Engineering Department  
This exhibit was prepared by Professor Lindblom and students.
1936
1/39 180
Exhibits for Pharmacy Drug Gardens, Home Economics, and Mechanical Engineering Shops
1936
1/39 181
Exhibits for School of Nursing, Drama, Physical Education, and Potter's Wheel
1936
Unidentified Exhibits on Lab Equipment
Box/Folder item
1/39 182
Kirchoff Boards
Scan from the negative
undated
1/39 183
Kirchoff Boards
Scan from the negative
undated
1/39 184
Four people sitting in front of an exhibit on Tesla Coils
Scan from the negative
undated
1/39 185
Exhibit containing many switchboards
Scan from the negative
undated

Electrical Power ProjectsReturn to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
Baker River Power Project
Box/Folder item
1/40 186
Baker River Camp, Mt. Sauk in the distance
April 23, 1924
1/40 187
View up the river and canyon showing pipe coming down from mountain
November 19, 1924
1/40 188
Dam site, looking downstream
December 21, 1924
1/40 189
River and snow
January 25, 1925
1/40 190
Upper works concrete mixing plant above dam site  
August 28, 1924
1/40 191
Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan
March 7, 1925
1/40 192
Housing and building at camp 1
April 26, 1925
1/40 193
Upstream face of the dam under construction  
July 3, 1925
1/40 194
View of canyon and dam under construction  
July 11, 1925
1/40 195
View of the complete dam
undated
Chelan Station Project
Box/Folder item
1/41 196
Diagram of the Chelan Station
Scan from the negative
Lake Cushman Dam Project Tacoma Municipal Power System
Box/Folder item
1/41 197
Construction of Dam power house  
May 23, 1927
1/41 198-199
Dam power house
1/41 201-202
Top of the Dam
undated
1/41 203
Cushman Dam, construction from upstream side
September 3, 1925
1/41 204
Cushman Dam, construction from downstream side  
September 15, 1925
1/41 205
Equipment in the interior of the Power House
undated
1/41 206-212
Power lines and high tension transfer stations
undated
1/41 213
Map of Cushman Power Plants- City of Tacoma
undated
Hungry Horse Dam Construction Project
Produced by the United States Department of the Interior Bureau of Reclamation
Box/Folder item
2/1 214
Monthly Report of Activities: Hungry Horse Project, Montana. Region 1
A.E. McCloud (Photographer)
Report and 9 photographs of the Hungry Horse spillway, aggregate, concrete working and pipe placing.
October 1949
2/2 215
Monthly Report of Activities: Hungry Horse Project, Montana. Region 1
A.E. McCloud (Photographer)
Report and 12 photographs of the Hungry Horse dam site, Flathead River, reservoir, spillway, power plant, concrete working, galleries and channel section
June 1950
2/3 216
Construction Progress Report: Hungry Horse Project, Montana. Region 1
A.E. McCloud (Photographer)
Report and 13 photographs of the Hungry Horse spillway, penstocks, concrete curing, power plant, progress point #1, progress point #6, trash racks, and progress point #4
November 1951
2/4 217
Construction Progress Report: Hungry Horse Project, Montana. Region 1
Report and 9 photographs of the Hungry Horse reservoir, construction water supply, maintenance facilities, power plant service road, power plant
January 1951
2/5 218
Construction Activities: Hungry Horse Project
2 : Typewritten pages
undated
2/5 219a-o
14 photos documenting the construction progress on the Hungry Horse Project
A.E. McCloud (Photographer)
December 9, 1949
2/5 220
Letter to Mr. Robbins from Larry Crosetti about the construction of the Hungry Horse Dam
December 9, 1949
2/5 221
Pamphlet about the Hungry Horse Dam
undated
La Grande Power Plant Project
Box/Folder item
2/6 222-223
La Grande Power Plant
undated
2/6 224
Railroad cutting through a forest. Mt. Rainier in the distance
Ashael Curtis, Seattle, Washington (Photographer)
undated
San Joaquin Power Project
Box/Folder item
2/7 225
No. 3 Power House. San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4337) (publisher)
On verso: "San Joaquin Light and Power Corporation on North Fork of the San Joaquin River in Sierra-Nevada Mountains, fifty miles above Fresno, California."
undated
2/7 226
Crane Valley Dam and Automatic Power House. San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco (Postcard No. 4338) (Publisher)
undated
2/7 227
Power House. San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4339) (Publisher)
undated
2/7 228
Generating Machinery. San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation. No 1 Power House, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4340) (Publisher)
undated
2/7 229
Crane Valley Lake and Reservoir. San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation in High Sierras, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4342) (Publisher)
undated
2/7 230
Steel Flume Water Way. San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation in High Sierras, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4343) (Publisher)
undated
2/7 231
No. 2 Power House San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation in High Sierras, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4344) (Publisher)
undated
2/7 232
Steel Flume, in High Sierras San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4345) (Publisher)
On Verso: "View of steel flume section of conduit system of the San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation in the Sierra-Nevada Mountains, fifty miles above Fresno, showing method of transporting water from the Crane Valley Lake reservoir to the five hydro-electric generating plants below."
undated
2/7 233
Tunnel and Open Ditch San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation in High Sierras, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4346) (Publisher)
undated
2/7 234
Pumping Water from San Joaquin River with Electricity for Irrigation
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4347) (Publisher)
On Verso: "View on banks of San Joaquin River, Fresno, California, showing how electricity is used for pumping water from the river onto adjacent agricultural and horticultural lands. The electric motor and pump are installed in the building at the base of the bluff."
undated
2/7 235
Picturesque Hillside Bungalow San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4348) (Publisher)
undated
2/7 236
Six-Foot Pipe Line San Joaquin Light & Power Corporation, California
Edwin H. Mitchell, San Francisco. (Postcard No. 4349) (Publisher)
undated
Northwest Mountains and Glaciers
Box/Folder item
2/8 237
Mt. Rainier with Emmons Glacier in the Foreground
Asahel Curtis (40789) (Photographer)
On front: "The twenty-two glaciers and extensive snow fields on Mt. Rainier provide an unceasing flow of water and power to the White, Puyallup, Nisqually and Cowlitz rivers."
circa 1921
2/8 238
Mt. Baker from Baker Lake
Asahel Curtis (10441) (Photographer)
On front: "Ice, snow and water storage for power developments on Baker and Nooksack rivers.
undated
2/8 239
Elwha Canyon, Olympic Mountains. Source of Elwha River
Asahel Curtis (8200) (Photographer)
undated
2/8 240
Mt. Queets in the Olympic Mountains.
Asahel Curtis (Photographer)
undated
2/8 241
Mt. St. Helens from Spirit lake  
Asahel Curtis (44844) (Photographer)
On front: "The glaciers and snowfields regulate the stream flow of the Toutle, Kalama and Lewis Rivers."
1923
2/8 242
Mt. Adams from Sunnyside Canal
Asahel Curtis (Photographer)
On front: "The glaciers and snow fields provide natural water storage for the Klickitat, White Salmon, Lewis and Cowlitz Rivers"
undated