Robert Garfias recording: Rajaratnam Pillai/Nagaswaram, pre-1962 PDF
- Garfias, Robert
- Robert Garfias recording: Rajaratnam Pillai/Nagaswaram
- 5 items : EC- 1 reel (7 1/2 ips, 2 tr. mono, 7"); WD - 2 compact discs (digital, stereo); 2 AIFF files (48 kHz, 24-bit); Duration: 00:59:15
- Collection Number
- Recording made from Indian radio pre-1962; Robert Garfias obtained this copy from T. Viswanathan.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Unrestricted: collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Rajaratnam Pillaiagaswaram; other musicians unidentified.
1) Raga Pantuvarali; Raga Todi (accompanied by tavil)
2) Drum ensemble with sarangi (Hindustani)
3) Hindustani vocal music with tabla and sarangi
Transmission Data: digital files created 2/2012 - 62-17.1a.aif, 62-17.1b.aif (48 kHz/24-bit) and work disc (WD) copies produced.
Contents of digital files: 62-17.1a.aif contains Raga Pantuvarali and beginning of Raga Todi (side 1 of original tape - total duration = 32:04); 62-17.1b.aif contains conclusion of Raga Todi (18:33), Drum ensemble with sarangi (7:27), and Hindustani vocal music with tabla and sarangi (1:10) (side 2 of original tape - total duration = 27:11)
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Classical Music, Hindustani
- Classical Music--Carnatic
- Hindustani music
- Tabla music
- Vocal Music--India
- Geographical Names :
- India--Asia--South Asia
- North India
- South India
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Rājarattin̲am Piḷḷai, Ṭi. En̲., 1898-1956 (performer)