Gay and Lesbian Miscellaneous Manuscript Collection, 1972-2007 PDF
- Center for Pacific Northwest Studies
- Gay and Lesbian Miscellaneous Manuscript Collection
- 1972-2007 (inclusive)19722002
- 2.5 linear feet
- Collection Number
- XOE_CPNWS0136glbtmiscman (collection)
- The Gay and Lesbian Miscellaneous Manuscripts Collection documents some of the history of the gay and lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) community of Bellingham and Whatcom County, Washington.
- Western Washington University, Center for Pacific Northwest Studies
Goltz-Murray Archives Building
808 25th St.
- Access Restrictions
Some access restrictions apply to oral history interviews (Contact repository for details).
- Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the Washington State Legislature to the Washington Women's History Consortium. Funding for encoding the finding aid was awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Gay and Lesbian Miscellaneous Manuscript Collection comprises an artificial collection of materials gathered and housed by the Center for Pacific Northwest Studies. During the Center’s Gay and Lesbian Archives Project in 2001-2002, Center staff solicited archival materials including photographs, publications, posters and other printed materials. A number of individuals from Bellingham and Whatcom County donated materials documenting the local gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities.
The Center hosted a workshop to discuss the history and experiences of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals in Whatcom County, and conducted oral history interviews with several members of the GLBT community
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Gay and Lesbian Miscellaneous Manuscripts Collection documents some of the history of the gay and lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) community of Bellingham and Whatcom County, Washington. The collection spans the period circa 1972-2007.
Manuscript materials include fliers, posters, journals and a small number of photographs documenting events and activities in the Bellingham and the surrounding area, and information about local GLBT resources. Arranged alphabetically, these materials include incomplete runs of local women's publication the "Women's Network Newsletter", and a local lesbian publication called "The L Word". Manuscripts also include a journal, posters and fliers pertaining to a traveling women's coffeehouse in the early 1990s, and several programs from the Pacific Northwest Women's Music & Cultural Jamboree (held at Western Washington University in the early 1990s). Information about gay and lesbian community resources in Bellingham include histories of the Womencare Shelter (founded in 1979 as a safe house for victims of domestic violence) and the Elizabeth Blackwell Women's Clinic. Manuscripts also include a 1972 photograph of a local gay bar in downtown Bellingham, ephemera documenting GLBT events held at Western Washington University, and programs from the Imperial Sovereign Court of the Evergreen Empire's drag ball show in Bellingham. The collection contains one folder of records reflecting the concerns and actions of women at the Puget Sound Women's Peace Camp circa 1983-1984, as well as one issue of the Seattle publication The Stranger: The Queer Issue, 2007. Posters and fliers document anti-nuclear protests at the Boeing Cruise Missile Plant in Kent, Washington, and include the 1985 publication We Are Ordinary Women: A Chronicle of the Puget Sound Women's Peace Camp.
Audio recordings include copies of Chris Pastorino's lesbian radio show, produced by Western Washington University's KUGS station from the early 1980s through 1993. The collection also contains several oral history interviews conducted in conjunction with the Gay and Lesbian Archives project in 2001-2002.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Gay and Lesbian Miscellaneous Manuscript Collection, Center for Pacific Northwest Studies, Heritage Resources, Western Washington University, Bellingham WA 98225-9123.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I: Manuscripts, circa 1972-2001Return to Top
Blackwell’s Women’s Clinic (history)
Community Resources for GBLT community
“Grandma’s Assumption” article by Suzanne Kolm
Imperial Sovereign Court of the Evergreen Empire-I.S.C.E.E. (Drag) event programs,
“L” Word newsletter
Lesbian Coffeehouse journal and flyers
Pacific Northwest Women’s Music and Cultural Jamboree
Posters and flyers for local events
Posters for local events
The Stranger: The Queer Issue, Volume 16:41
|June 21-27, 2007|
Up & Up bar – historic photograph
Western Washington University related ephemera
Western Washington University – Motherlode concert photographs
Whatcom County Coalition of Washington Citizens for Fairness/Hands off Washington campaign for senate bill 1443
Womencare Shelter – history
Women’s Network Newsletter
Women’s Peace Camp
Series II: Audio Recordings, 1982-2001 Return to Top
Subseries 1: Chris Pastorino’s radio shows
Meg Christian and Chris Williamson (Chris Pastorino and Valerie Fisher) - Press Conference
|1983 June 4|
Women on Air "Lesbians Show"
Betsy Rose and Janet Peterson Interview
Meg Christianson Interview
Holly Near Interview, Seattle
|1983 September 24|
Women on Air "History of Lesbianism"
|1984 January 5|
Meg Christian Interview
Women on Air - Betsy Rose
|1985 February 13|
Chris Williamson and Tret Fure
|1985 November 9|
Linda Allen Interview
|1986 January 20|
Linda Allen Interview
|1989 March 21|
Women on Air
|1992 August 31|
Women on Air
Women on Air Final Show
|1993 June 7|
Subseries 2: Oral History Interviews cassettes and transcripts
|2002 February 4|
Jubilo, Sherry *Interview is indecipherable.
|2002 August 27|
|2001 December 5|
Pastorino, Chris *Restrictions apply to this interview
|2002 February 22|
|2001 November 12|
Oral History Interview CDs
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Gays -- Washington (State) -- Whatcom County -- History -- Sources.
- Antinuclear movement -- Washington (State) -- History -- Sources.
- Bisexuals -- Washington (State) -- Whatcom County -- History -- Sources.
- Feminism and the arts -- Washington (State) -- Whatcom County -- History -- Sources.
- Gay rights -- Washington (State) -- Whatcom County -- History -- Sources.
- Lesbians -- Washington (State) -- Whatcom County -- History -- Sources.
- Oral History -- Washington (State) -- Whatcom County -- History -- Sources.
- Transsexuals -- Washington (State) -- Whatcom County -- History -- Sources.
- Women -- Political participation -- Washington (State) -- History -- Sources.
- Women and peace -- Washington (State) -- History -- Sources.
- Women musicians -- Washington (State) -- Whatcom County -- History -- Sources.
- Women's health services -- Washington (State) -- Bellingham -- History -- Sources.
- Women's rights -- Washington (State) -- Whatcom County -- History -- Sources.
- Women's shelters -- Washington (State) -- Bellingham -- History -- Sources.