Laurel Sercombe recordings: Son Jarocho Music of Veracruz, Mexico, 1985-04-03 PDF
- Sercombe, Laurel; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- Laurel Sercombe recordings: Son Jarocho Music of Veracruz, Mexico
- 6 items : 85-19.1 OT - 1 vct (digital audio rec.) (VHS, sp, stereo); 85-19.2 EC - 1 vct (video rec.) (VHS, sp, stereo, color); 85-19.3-4 EC - 2 reels (7 1/2 ips, 2 tr. stereo, 7"); 85-19.1 WT - 1 DAT (digital, stereo); 85-19.2 WD - 1 DVD; Duration: 1:00:00
- Collection Number
- Concert recorded in University of Washington, Meany Theater, 4/3/85; the concert featured Jose Gutierrez and Ephat Mujuru, visiting artists in the UW Ethnomusicology program, and guest musicians.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Laurel Sercombe has been the Archivist for the Ethnomusicology Program at the University of Washington since 1982. She has co-produced a series of music recordings with Northwest Folklife, lectured for classes in Ethnomusicology, Library and Information Science, and American Indian Studies, and designed and taught a course on sound archiving. In 1998 she received a pre-doctoral Smithsonian Research Fellowship and in 2001 received her Ph.D. with the dissertation And Then It Rained: Power and Song in Western Washington Coast Salish Myth Narratives. She is a member of the Music Library Association, the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, and the Society for Ethnomusicology, for which she served as Current Discographer 1992–2000 and Treasurer 2000–2004. She serves on the boards of Jack Straw Productions and Northwest Heritage Resources. In 2013 she organized and hosted "Sounds of the World," a series of six programs for UWTV featuring film footage from the Robert Garfias Collection in the Ethnomusicology Archives.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Formats: 85-19.1 OT - digitally processed audio original recorded by Laurel Sercombe (Panasonic NV-8410 (VHS), Sony PCM-F1 digital audio processor, Neumann KM-84 mics-ORTF pattern); 85-19.2 EC - videorecording (VHS) by Kay Norton (this is a copy; original is on FS5 Zimbabwe/85-18.2 following the recording of Ephat Mujuru's half of the concert); 85-19.3-4 EC - analog dubs of digital originals (durations: 47:57, 5:15); 85-19.1 WT - DAT copy of digital audio original.
Performers: Jose Gutierrez/voice, jarana; Gonzalo Mata/voice, harp; Manuel Basquez/requinto, voice (filling in for Daniel Sheehy, who is listed on program); Gage Averill/jarana (first two songs).
DVD copy of video recording produced 3/2013 (copy was actually made from original videotape (85-18.2, pt. 2) but is numbered 85-19.2 WD so as to keep the Gutierrez material within this collection)
Documentation: Press release, concert program.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
1 audiotape : DAT
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Folk music--Mexico
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Geographical Names :
- North America
- Seattle (Wash.)
- South/Latin America
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Averill, Gage (performer)
- Basquez, Manuel (performer)
- Gutierrez, José (performer)
- Mata, Gonzalo (performer)