J. Llewellyn Spriggs Photograph Album, 1915-1921 PDF
- Spriggs, James Llewellyn.
- J. Llewellyn Spriggs Photograph Album
- 1915-1921 (inclusive)19151921
- 0.15 cubic foot, including 121 photographs, (1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- P 285
- The J. Llewellyn Spriggs Photograph Album was assembled by Spriggs to document his student years at Oregon Agricultural College; it includes images of student activities, Spriggs' fraternity, military training, and athletic teams and events. James Llewellyn Spriggs earned a BS in Agriculture in 1920.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
James Llewellyn Spriggs earned a BS in Agriculture at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC) in 1920. Spriggs enrolled at OAC in September 1915 and attended during the 1915/1916 through 1917/1918 academic years. He withdrew in fall 1918, probably for military service, but returned in fall 1919 and completed his degree in June 1920. After graduation, Spriggs taught agriculture in Willits and Fort Jones, California.
James Llewellyn Spriggs (known as "Lee" in his family) was born on December 16, 1895 in Ewing, Illinois. He graduated from Washington High School in Portland, Oregon. He returned to the Oregon State campus in summer 1939 and summer 1949 to take classes in organic chemistry, wood turning, sheet metal working, and forging/welding.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The J. Llewellyn Spriggs Photograph Album was assembled by Spriggs during his student years at Oregon Agricultural College. The album includes professional photographic prints, photographic postcards, and snapshots. The album primarily reflects Spriggs' social activities with fellow students and participation in track and field. Other athletic teams and contests are also depicted, such as football, basketball, and wrestling. Several images of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity members and the fraternity's house (both exterior and interior) as well as its predecessor organization, the Oxford Club, are included in the album.
Of special note are several snapshots of construction of the homecoming bonfire as well as images of the freshman-sophomore bag rush; military cadet inspection day, including a parade with a tank and other armaments; the 1920 Military Ball; and a student sitting in Ida Kidder's "wicker-mobile". Snapshots of student outings and picnics and snowfall on campus are included. Several images of Spriggs (individual portrait photographs and in group photographs) are part of the album; other students are also identified by name. In addition to photographs, this album contains a few dance cards, event programs, ribbons, and an invitation to the 1920 commencement ceremony.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
J. Llewellyn Spriggs Photograph Album (P 285), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College sports--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Military education--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Track and field athletes--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Track and field.
- Oxford Club (Oregon Agricultural College)
- Sigma Phi Epsilon. Oregon Alpha Chapter.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photograph albums.
- Photographic prints.