The Oregon State College Dames Club was founded in 1927 and became a chapter of the National Association of University Dames in 1928 with the purpose of bringing social unity and advancing the interests of wives and mothers of Oregon State College students. In addition to social events for members, the Club provided scholarships, made contributions to the student loan fund, assisted students in need with food and clothing for attending campus social events, and participated in community activities.
Initially, club members were the mothers of resident students. In 1945, with the enrollment of many married students at Oregon State College, wives were invited to join the organization. The wives and mothers groups met separately, but were considered one organization as the National Association of University Dames allowed only one club at each campus. The Oregon State College Dames Club became the Oregon State University Dames Club in 1961 at the time of the name change of the university. The mothers managed the administration and organization of the Oregon State University chapter until 1963, when the wives accepted those responsibilities. The mothers continued to meet until 1972, when they retired. The student wives continued the organization through at least 1974.
The Oregon State Dames Club Records document the membership and activites of this organization of the wives and mothers of Oregon State students. The Records include constitutions, correspondence, a history of the club prepared by Fern Roche, National Association of University Dames yearbooks, meeting minutes, financial records, and scrapbooks. The scrapbooks include information about scholarships awarded by the organization, lists of members and officers, publicity and ephemera, and yearly summaries of activities. The National Association yearbooks include a list of officers and summary of yearly actvities for each chapter.
Oregon State University Dames Club Records, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, oregon.