N. John Hansen Scrapbook, 1937-2007 PDF
- Hansen, N. John (Niels John), 1918-
- N. John Hansen Scrapbook
- 1937-2007 (inclusive)19372007
- 0.2 cubic foot, including 89 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- MSS HansenNJohn
- The N. John Hansen Scrapbook documents Hansen's participation in the National Association of County Agricultural Agents and the activities of other Extension Service staff in Oregon. Hansen graduated from Oregon State College in 1941 and served as an Extension Service County Agent in Linn and Polk Counties from 1943 until 1972.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
N. John Hansen earned a BS in agricultural economics from Oregon State College in 1941. He began his work for the Extension Service in 1943 as a Linn County Extension Agent with responsiblity for the county's 4-H program. From 1949 until 1972, he was Staff Chair in Polk County. Hansen served as an area water resource specialist in Salem for 18 months prior to his retirement at the end of 1973.
Hansen was active in the National Association of County Agricultural Agents and served as both vice-president and president of the organization. Hansen advocated for 4-H in Oregon, specifically development of the Oregon 4-H Center and establishment of an endowment for the Polk County 4-H Leaders Association.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The N. John Hansen Scrapbook, which was assembled by Hansen, documents Hansen's involvement in the National Association of County Agricultural Agents (NACAA) and the activities of other Oregon Extension Service staff. The scrapbook consists predominantly of photographs; it also includes newspaper clippings, ephemera, and an essay on the history of the Bull Association of the Oregon County Agents Association.
The photographs are primarily souvenir group photographs of Oregon attendees at the NACAA annual meeting; some of these images also include spouses and children. Individuals are identified for many of the photographs; Extension agents O.E. Mikesell, Ken Minnick, and Ben Newell are included in several of the group photographs. Of special note are photographs of the annual meeting when it was held in Corvallis in 1970. The scrapbook also includes individual and group photographs of Oregon State Extension Service staff conducting their work; several images of Frank Ballard are part of the scrapbook. Images of tours of local farms and the Oregon Garden that Hansen organized in the 1990s are also included in the scrapbook. The photographs are primarily b/w; some color prints are included.
The scrapbook also includes information about Extension agents Mel Hagood and Roger Fletcher.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Agricultural extension workers--Oregon.
- Agricultural extension work--Oregon.
- Personal Names :
- Ballard, Frank Llewellyn.
- Corporate Names :
- National Association of County Agricultural Agents.
- Oregon State College. Federal Cooperative Extension Service.
- Oregon State University. Extension Service.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.