Charles R. Ross served as Extension Forester for Oregon State University from 1946 until his retirement in 1970. He earned his B.S. in forestry from the University of Georgia and M.S. from the University of Washington. From 1936 until 1946, he worked in the southeastern United States for the U.S. Forest Service, the Extension Services in South Carolina and Alabama, and as a regional consultant for the American Forestry Association.
Ross authored the popular OSU Extension publication, Trees to Know in Oregon and numerous other publications on 4-H forestry, tree planting, and forest management. He was also a prolific writer on land use and population issues; his letters were published in local and regional newspapers as well as the The New York Times, Christian Science Monitor, and other national publications.
A founding member of the Greenbelt Land Trust in Corvallis, Ross was instrumental in the preservation of forests and farmland surrounding Corvallis and helped with the purchase of land that would become Chip Ross Park and the Fitton Green Natural Area. Ross died in Corvallis in 2006.
The Charles R. Ross Papers consist primarily of his publications and writing on forest resources, cultivation, harvesting, and timber marketing; land conservation, preservation of open space, and population growth; and the geography and culture of the southern Appalachians. These include reports prepared during his work in the southeastern United States from 1936 to 1946; publications written as an Extension Forester in Alabama and Oregon; and editorials, letters, and columns written from the 1930s through 2001 on various forestry, social, environmental, and political topics.
The reports document forest resources in Alabama, Georgia, North and South Carolina, and Missouri; several of the reports include photographs. Field notebooks which Ross used to record information on forest acreage on private lands, people involved in harvesting of trees, and milling operations are included.
The Extension publications include materials produced at Oregon State University as well as by the Alabama Extension Service pertaining to farm forestry.
The editorials, letters and columns include original typescripts, photocopies of published items, and original newspaper clippings. Clippings of The Ranger's Corner columns that Ross wrote as an Assistant U.S. Forest Service Ranger in Georgia in 1937 and of his Let the Trees Grow columns for the Oregon Farmer are part of the collection.