Willi Unsoeld Collection, 1963-1979 PDF
- Unsoeld, William Francis, 1926-
- Willi Unsoeld Collection
- 1963-1979 (inclusive)19631979
- 0.1 cubic foot, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Unsoeld
- The Willi Unsoeld Collection documents OSU alumnus and faculty member Willi Unsoeld's spring 1963 climb of Mount Everest and the fall 1963 OSU fundraising campaign to defer Unsoeld's medical expenses resulting from the Mount Everest climb. The collection includes correspondence, newsletters, financial reports, clippings, and a 1979 Oregon Senate resolution.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Renowned mountain climber William Francis Unsoeld was born in 1926 in Arcata, California, and attended high school in Eugene, Oregon. In 1944 he enrolled at Oregon State College, studied physics, and received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1951. While at Oregon State, Unsoeld helped found the OSC Mountain Club. He received a divinity degree from the Pacific School of Religion in 1954 and a Ph.D. from the University of Washington in 1958.
Unsoeld joined the faculty of the OSC Department of Religion in 1958. From 1962 to 1967 Unsoeld took a leave of absence from OSU and worked for the Peace Corps in Nepal, and later worked for the U.S. Agency for International Development. At the time of his death in 1979, Unsoeld was on the faculty of Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, where he had taught philosophy and religion since 1970.
Unsoeld was a world class mountain climber who started mountain climbing as a boy in Oregon's Cascades. He was best known for his participation in the successful 1963 climb of Mt. Everest by the first group of climbers from the United States. On that climb, Unsoeld and Thomas Hornbein became the first climbers to scale Everest's west ridge. Other significant climbs in which Unsoeld participated included the 1954 California Himalayan Expedition to Malaku and the 1960 American-Pakistan Karakorem Expedition to Mt. Mashabram in the Western Himalayas.
While a student at Oregon State, Unsoeld met Jolene Bishoprick when they were both members of the OSC Mountain Club. Unsoeld and Bishoprick married in 1951, and had four children. Jolene Unsoeld graduated from Oregon State in 1953 and later served as a U.S. Representative from Washington from 1989 to 1995. Willi Unsoeld died in an avalanche on Mt. Rainier on March 4, 1979.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Willi Unsoeld Collection primarily documents Unsoeld's participation in the 1963 climb of Mt. Everest. The series I newsletters were written by expedition members, including Willi Unsoeld, James R. Ullman, and Norman Dyhrenfurth, between February and June 1963. Series II, Correspondence, consists of OSU president emeritus A.L Strand's fundraising efforts in the summer and fall of 1963 to help offset the medical costs of Unsoeld's treatment for frostbite resulting from the climb. This series also contains other correspondence between Strand and the Unsoelds, 1963-1965. Series III contains newspaper clippings about the 1963 Mt. Everest climb from the Oregonian and Corvallis Gazette-Times newspapers, as well as National Geographic's 1963 articles on the climb, including one co-authored by Unsoeld. Included in one of the articles is a photo of Unsoeld planting the OSC Mountain Club banner on Everest's summit. Series IV consists of a resolution passed by the Oregon Senate honoring Unsoeld after his death in March 1979.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Willi Unsoeld Collection, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oergon
Mt. Everest climb newsletters are copyrighted and are not to be reproduced.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Mountaineering--Everest, Mount (China and Nepal)
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon. Legislative Assembly. Senate--Resolutions. (creator)
- Geographical Names :
- Everest, Mount (China and Nepal)
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Dyhrenfurth, Norman G. (creator)
- Strand, A. L. (August Leroy), 1894- (creator)
- Ullman, James Ramsey, 1907-1971 (creator)
- Unsoeld, Jolene