Philip Schuyler field recordings, 1972-1976 PDF
- Schuyler, Philip
- Philip Schuyler field recordings
- 1972-1976 (inclusive)19721976
- 209 items : EC - 111 reels (plus additional dubs of .1 and .2) (7.5 ips, 1/2 tr. stereo (most); 7" (all); WT - 59 DATS (digital, stereo); WD - 35 CDs (digital, stereo); 4 WAV files (48 kHz, 24-bit); Duration: 77:00:00
- Collection Number
- Field recordings made in various locations in Morocco mainly in 1976; Tapes 1-19 appear to have been recorded in 1972.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Philip Schuyler is an Associate Professor Emeritus of Ethnomusicology in the School of Music at the University of Washington, Seattle. Formerly, he served as the chair of Middle East Center and the chair of Ethnomusicology at the UW. A specialist in the music of North Africa and the Middle East, Professor Schuyler has carried out extensive research in Morocco and Yemen over the past 45 years. His most recent publication is a 4-CD set of Music of Morocco, from the Library of Congress, for which he earned a 2017 Grammy Award Nomination for Best Historical Album.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
See logsheets for contents information. No work tapes produced from 80-2.100 or 80-2.101 EC because they were identical to 80-2.21 and 80-2.22 EC. EC numbering sequence from 1-109; tapes 41 and 42 each have an A reel and a B reel so the actual total is 111 reels.
These tapes were basis for Schuyler's dissertation - A Repertory of Ideas: The Music of the Rwais, Berber Professional Musicians from Southwestern Morocco (M1/Th27252)
Information on original archive sheets incorporated into logsheets and summary sheet in doc file before sheets removed from notebook (6/96).
WDs made from ECs 80-2.4 - 80-2.31; copied in 2002; WDs made from WAV files produced 5/2016 from tapes 80-2.49 - 80-2.52.
Tapes 80-2.49 - 80-2.52 digitized 5/2016 (WAV, 48 kHz, 24-bit) - 80-2.49.wav (46:17), 80-2.50.wav (50:54), 80-2.51.wav (30:13), 80-2.52.wav (35:19) (P. Schuyler copied these 4 tapes from Bernard Lortat-Jacob)
Related collection - 2013-16 / MW1 Morocco (original reels and digital copies)
Documentation: See documentation file for MW1 Morocco 2013-16.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Berbers of Morocco--Africa--Northern Africa
- Folk music--Morocco
- Geographical Names :
- Middle East--Middle East--General Middle East
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Field recordings
- Sound recordings