UW Ethnomusicology Archives session recordings: Dumisani Maraire 002, 1986-11-24 PDF
- Goosman, Stuart L., 1953-; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- UW Ethnomusicology Archives session recordings: Dumisani Maraire 002
- 2 items : Original tape (OT) - 1 VHS (SP, color); Working disc (WD) - 1 DVD (digital, stereo)
- Collection Number
- Session recorded at the University of Washington, Music Building, Room 58, 1986 November 24, as an audition tape for Dumisani Maraire. Collected by the university's Ethnomusicology Archives.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives has been collecting and curating unique ethnographic music recordings for over 50 years. Its holdings of more than 15,000 items include field recordings documenting music traditions of all kinds from most areas of the world, concert recordings of visiting musicians, and films and videos of a variety of musical events, as well as several hundred musical instruments. The Archives serves the students and faculty in the UW Ethnomusicology Program, the broader university community, Pacific Northwest tribes, and an international clientele of musicians, students, and teachers.
Archival recordings are available for on-site listening. Depending on collection deposit agreements, copies of some materials may be obtained by researchers. Students are particularly encouraged to utilize archival materials to assist with class projects and help prepare for their own field work. The Archives employs several students each year and works informally with most ethnomusicology students as they begin to consider recording format options, equipment purchase, the practical problems of documentation in the field, and other issues related to their research. Students and other researchers are invited to deposit their field collections in the Archives, which offers secure storage and computer catalog access to all materials.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Recorded by Stuart Goosman.
Contents - Music of Zimbabwe:
1) Chemutengure (mbira song) - Dumisani Maraire, Tendai Maraire/nyunga nyunga mbiras; Sam Chiorah/maracas; Lorah Chiorah/clapping; all/vocals.
2) Dance song - Lorah Chiorah/dancing; Dumisani Maraire, Tendai Maraire/drums; Sam Chiorah/gourds.
Total duration: 7 minutes.
VHS copy digitized and copied to DVD, December 2008.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Original copiesReturn to Top
Working discsReturn to Top
1986052-0001: DVD 1
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Shona--Africa--Southern Africa
- Songs, Shona
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Geographical Names :
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Chiorah, Lorah (performer)
- Chiorah, Samuel Farai (performer)
- Maraire, Dumisani (performer)
- Maraire, Tendai (performer)