Henry Gilsheuser papers, 1907-1916 PDF
- Gilsheuser, Henry, 1880-Philippine Constabulary--Records and correspondence.
- Henry Gilsheuser papers
- 1907-1916 (inclusive)19071916
- 1.0 linear feet, (2 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 325
- Henry Gilsheuser served in U.S. Army in the Philippines, rose to the grade of Lieutenant Colonel in the Philippine Constabulary, and was appointed Provincial Governor of Lanao in 1910 and served until 1912, and again from 1915 to 1917. The collection (1907-1916) contains official and semi-official correspondence, Constabulary circulars (newsletters), general orders, and rosters, and also a manuscript regarding the Province of Lanao.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Henry Gilsheuser was born in Germany, and enlisted in the U. S. Army in 1898.
Gilsheuser served in the Philippines, and was appointed 3rd lieutenant in the Philippine Constabulary in 1903, and rose to grade of Lieutenant Colonel.
He was appointed Provincial Governor of Lanao, and served from 1910 to 1912, and again from 1915 to 1917. He retired in 1917.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
There is a folder titled "personal correspondence," which really contains official and semi-official correspondence to and from Gilsheuser (1912-1914)
The collection also contains a large amount of circulars (official newsletters) of the Headquarters of the Bureau of Constabulary, from 1907 to 1916.
Also available are General Orders from the Bureau of Constabulary, District of Mindanao, 1915-1916, and a Roster of Officers, 1916.
The collection also contains a manuscript monograph titled, "Province of Lanao," 1916, prepared by the Constabulary of Lanao under Gilsheuser's direction.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Henry Gilsheuser papers, Ax 325, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Police--Philippines--History--20th century
- Soldiers--United States--Correspondence
- Personal Names :
- Gilsheuser, Henry, 1880-
- Corporate Names :
- Philippine Constabulary.
- Geographical Names :
- Philippines--Politics and government--1898-1935
- Form or Genre Terms :