Collection is open for research.
Oregon State University established the Marine Science Center in Newport, Oregon, in 1965 as a marine laboratory. In 1983, the Marine Science Center was officially re-named as the Hatfield Marine Science Center for Oregon Governor and U.S. Senator Mark Hatfield. The Center serves as Oregon State University's campus for research, education, and outreach in marine and coastal sciences.
The 180-foot Yaquina research vessel was commissioned by the OSU Department of Oceanography in 1964.
The Totem buoy was an OSU Department of Oceanography project in the late 1960s to construct a 30-ton 194-foot research buoy. The Totem was towed to sea in a horizontal position, forced to a vertical position, and used for oceanographic research.
The Hatfield Marine Science Center Photographs document the Center's facilities and surroundings in Newport, Oregon. The photographs include aerials views of the Center buildings and docks, the Newport Jetty, Yaquina Bay, and the Newport coastline and waterfront. About half of the collection consists of color slides taken in 1997 of the exteriors of the Center buildings.
Photographs of Oregon State University's research vessels, the Paiute, Cayuse, and Yaquina are included as well as the Totem buoy. One photographic print depicts the Oceanography Building (now Burt Hall) on the Corvallis campus. A 1975 photograph by Lee Kuhn shows Spencer Smith, Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildife Service; R.E. Dimick, Head of the OSU Department of Fisheries and Wildife from 1935 to 1963; and Richard Tubb, the newly appointed department head for Fisheries and Wildlife at OSU.
The collection includes a variety of formats: color slides; b/w and color prints; and negatives and prints of 9x9 inch color and b/w aerial photographs. Identified photographers include the OSU News Bureau, Lee Kuhn, and William Q. Wick.
Hatfield Marine Science Center Photographs (P 254), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.