American Association of University Professors, University of Montana Chapter records, 1930-1977 PDF
- American Association of University Professors, University of Montana Chapter
- American Association of University Professors, University of Montana Chapter records
- 1930-1977 (inclusive)19301977
- Collection Number
- Mss 654
- This collection includes meeting minutes, correspondence and newsletters of the University of Montana-Missoula's chapter of the American Association of University Professors. The majority of the material is from the 1940s to the 1960s.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana-Missoula.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
John Hopkins’ Professor Arthur O. Lovejoy and John Dewey formed the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) in 1915 to protect the "academic freedom” of college professors nationwide. It is not clear when the Montana chapter of the AAUP was established but it likely began on the University of Montana campus in the late 1910s. The first minute book in this collection dates from 1930. The National AAUP’s concern for the wellbeing and academic freedom of professors brought the organization’s attention to UM on a number of occasions, including during the dismissal of President Craighead in 1915 and during the controversy over the discharge of Librarian Philip Keeney in 1937. They also participated in preparing and moving a collective bargaining bill through the Montana legislature in the mid-1970s.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection contains memos to faculty members, 1942-1977, salary studies, 1951-1960, minutes and organizational materials, 1930-1962, and newsletters, 1965-1974, for the Montana chapter of the American Association of University Professors.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to the University of Montana.
[Name of document or photograph number], American Association of University Professors, University of Montana Chapter, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1/1||Correspondence, memos to faculty||1942-1964|
|1/2||Correspondence, memos to faculty||1966-1977|
|1/3||Financial Records, salary studies||1951-1960|
|2/3||Organization, principles||1940, 1953 and 1959|
|2/4||Speeches and Writings, Neils Report||1958|
|2/5||Speeches and Writings, newsletter||1965-1974|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College teacher--Montana--Missoula
- Corporate Names :
- American Association of University Professors. University of Montana Chapter. Archives.
- Montana State University (Missoula, Mont.)--Faculty.
- University of Montana (Missoula, Mont. : 1965-1994)--Faculty.