Records are open to the public.
The Legislative Department is comprised of the City Council, Office of the City Clerk, Central Staff (policy analysts and budget support), and Administrative Division. The City Council is responsible for setting City-wide policy through the adoption of ordinances and resolutions, overseeing the Executive's implementation of policies and programs, and passing the City budget. The first City Charter created a bicameral legislative branch with a nine-member Board of Aldermen and 16-member House of Delegates. The 1896 Charter returned to a single body of 13 members, elected from 11 wards and two at-large. As the number of wards increased, the number the Council members grew to 18 in 1907. A City Charter Amendment in 1910 reduced the number to nine, all elected at large, and made elections non-partisan. In 1946 Council member terms were increased from two years to four years. The Office of the City Clerk and the Office of the City Auditor became part of the Legislative Department in 1993. In 1999 the Office of the City Auditor became an independent department.
Collection includes Legislative Department offices, council member portraits, council chambers, City Hall, mayors, events, and celebrations. Council members are pictured at events such as the Sounding the Alarm rally at City Hall, City Hall grand opening, 2004 City Council inauguration, visits to Sister Cities, press conferences, parades, farmer's markets, bridge and lock inspections, Skagit River tours, and homeless shelters. Other photos depict council members with Boys and Girls Club members, receiving visiting dignitaries, and delivering speeches. Other departments and agencies depicted include the Department of Neighborhoods, Department of Parks and Recreation, and Sound Transit. All images are available online. Search "4600-11" in the Photograph Index.
[Item number.] Legislative Department Digital Photograph Collection, Record Series 4600-11. Seattle Municipal Archives.