Whatcom CountyWhatcom County Chapter of the United Nations Association of the United States of America Records, 1952 - 1997 PDF
- Whatcom County Chapter of the United Nations Association of the United States of America
- Whatcom CountyWhatcom County Chapter of the United Nations Association of the United States of America Records
- 1997 (inclusive)19521997
- 2 linear feet
- Collection Number
- XOE_CPNWS0148whatcomun (collection)
- The collection includes records documenting the activities of the Whatcom County Chapter of the United Nations Association of the United States of America (U.N.A.U.S.A). The chapter was active from 1954 to 1998 in Whatcom County, Washington and was part of the larger parent organization, the United Nations Association of the United States of America.
- Western Washington University, Center for Pacific Northwest Studies
Goltz-Murray Archives Building
808 25th St.
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. Funding for encoding the finding aid was awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The U.N.A.U.S.A. developed in 1943 out of the League of Nations as a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization. The organization sponsored research projects on important international issues and encouraged members to seek and explore solutions to world problems at the local level.
The Whatcom County Chapter began as a temporary committee that first met on July 7, 1954. The first official meeting of the Whatcom County Chapter of the U.N.A.U.S.A. was held at the Leopold Hotel in Bellingham on September 25, 1957. It was dissolved in 1998 due to lack of membership.
Chapter meetings were held monthly, usually at the home of a member or in a local church. Meeting minutes were regularly kept and a chapter government was elected. In keeping with its organizational mission, the Whatcom Chapter hosted community events to promote education and awareness of global issues as well as fundraising campaigns in the Whatcom community. Examples of these included commemorations of the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. and panels such as "Developing the Final Frontier: International Cooperation and Competition in the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space" that was presented in 1986. The chapter gathered news clippings related to their activities and interests in addition to producing a local newsletter.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection comprises approximately 2.5 linear feet of records documenting the activities of the Whatcom Chapter of the United Nations of the United States of America (U.N.A.U.S.A.). The collection contains administrative records, meeting minutes, chapter presidential papers, correspondence, financial records, printed materials and scrapbooks generated between 1954 and 1998. Also included in the collection are a small number of materials created by the national parent organization.
Corporate and administrative records include founding documents, by-laws, annual reports, a brief overview of the chapter’s history, and membership lists. The series also includes meeting minutes from 1954 to 1994 documenting event planning, chapter discussion, and proposed community campaigns; chapter presidential papers including correspondence and notes from chapter presidents; general correspondence; and mayoral proclamations.
Financial records include a number of fragmented financial reports and a check register. Also included is a corporate resolution of authority. The collection includes three Whatcom Chapter U.N.A.U.S.A. scrapbooks spanning the years from approximately the mid-1950s through 1988. The older scrapbook, dating to the mid-1960s, contains a large collection of newspaper and magazine clippings. The later scrapbooks from the mid- to late-1980s contain many photographs of chapter events and related printed materials.
Printed materials, dating from 1952 to 1992 include materials produced by the national U.N.A.U.S.A. organization as well as the Whatcom County chapter. These encompass pamphlets, flyers, and local news clippings related to chapter interests and events. Also included are local newsletters dating from 1965 through 1998. The collection also includes printed pamphlets, clippings, programs and notes pertaining to U.N. Day Events.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Whatcom County Chapter of the United Nations Association of the United States of America Records, Center for Pacific Northwest Studies, Heritage Resources, Western Washington University, Bellingham WA 98225-9123.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Series I: Corporate and Administrative Records, 1954-1997 Return to Top
Sub-series 1: Organizational Records
Accreditation and First Biennial Certificate
|1967 (certificate undated)|
|1959-1996 (1 undated)|
Sub-series 2: Minutes
Sub-series 3: Presidential Papers
Arthur Hicks and Violet Rudd
Sub-series 4: Correspondence
Sub-series 5: Mayoral Proclamations
Series II: Financial Records, 1956-1995 Return to Top
Corporate Resolution of Authority
Series III: Scrapbooks, circa mid-1950s - June 1988Return to Top
Whatcom U.N.A.U.S.A. Chapter Scrapbook
|circa mid-1950s - mid-1960s|
Whatcom County Chapter of the United Nations of the U.S.A.
|1984 June-1986 June|
Series IV: Printed Materials, 1952-1995Return to Top
|1986-1992 (much undated)|
Local Members Directory
Local News Clippings
|1982 April 2 - 1985 April 28|
Series V: U.N. Day Events, 1964-1991Return to Top
Programs and News Clippings
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- International relations--Citizen participation--Washington (State)--Whatcom County--History--Sources
- Nonprofit organizations--Washington (State)--Whatcom County--History--Sources
- World politics--Citizen participation--Washington (State)--Whatcom County--History--Sources
- Corporate Names :
- United Nations Association of the United States of America
- Whatcom County Chapter of the United Nations Association of America (creator)
- Geographical Names :
- Whatcom County (Wash.)--History--Sources