Seattle University Office of the President: Louis Gaffney, SJ Records, 1970-1975 PDF
- Seattle University. Office of the President.
- Seattle University Office of the President: Louis Gaffney, SJ Records
- 1970-1975 (inclusive)19701975
- 2 linear feet, (2 boxes)
- Collection Number
- RG 005.04 (collection)
- Louis Gaffney, SJ served as the 18th President of Seattle University from 1970 until 1974. This collection contains the files generated and compiled by Seattle University's Office of the President during his administration.
- Seattle University, Lemieux Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons, Special Collections
Lemieux Library & McGoldrick Learning Commons
901 12th Avenue
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for preparing the finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Louis Gaffney, SJ was appointed acting President of Seattle University in early 1970 after the sudden resignation of Kenneth Baker, SJ. In November 1970, Fr. Gaffney was appointed the university's 18th President. The hallmark of Fr. Gaffney's presidency was a spirit of "contagious optimism" which shored up morale during difficult financial times for the university. Gaffney took on the difficult oversight of the belt-tightening process with sound fiscal management practices. A three year Stabilization Fund Campaign was launched by A.A. Lemieux, SJ, former Seattle University President and William E. Boeing, Jr., Seattle University Trustee and Regent. By the end of Gaffney's presidency in 1974 finances had stabilized sufficiently to address the more challenging issues around enrollment and the future of some academic programs.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection contains the files generated and compiled by Seattle University's Office of the President during the administration of Louis Gaffney, SJ, the University's 18th president (1970-1974). The records consist of files pertaining to academic programs, campus building projects, fundraising, student and faculty issues and includes correspondence, reports, speeches, and other printed material. The collection is not comprehensive.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Seattle University Office of the President: Louis Gaffney, SJ Records, Special Collections, Lemieux Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons, Seattle University.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Education, Higher--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Universities and colleges--Washington (State)--Seattle--Administration
- Personal Names :
- Gaffney, Louis, SJ.
- Corporate Names :
- Seattle University. Office of the President
- Seattle University--Administration
- Seattle University--Buildings
- Seattle University--Faculty
- Seattle University--History--20th century
- Seattle University--Presidents--20th century
- Seattle University--Records and correspondence
- Form or Genre Terms :