Department of Geological Sciences records, 1959-1967 PDF
- University of Oregon. Dept. of Geological Sciences
- Department of Geological Sciences records
- 1959-1967 (inclusive)19591967
- 0.5 linear feet, (1 containers)
- Collection Number
- UA 054
- Geology has been offered at the University of Oregon since its establishment in 1876, and Thomas Condon was the first and only professor of Geology until 1904. Collection contains subject files, scrapbooks, photographs, and office files.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
UNAVAILABLE DEPARTMENTAL RECORDS: Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. For more information, please submit a Notice of Interest in Unprocessed Collections.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Geology has been taught at University of Oregon since its establishment in 1876. Thomas Condon was the first and only professor of Geology until 1904; he retired in 1906. The Department of Geological Sciences currently offers undergraduate, graduate, and Ph.D degrees in this field. Geography was once a part of the Geology department until the Department of Geography was officially created in 1932. However, the archives show that the two departments were intertwined until the 1960's.
Source: University Archives alphabetical subject files, UA Ref 1, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection contains correspondence, general subject files, grade books, scrapbooks, photographs, and office files including those records of Samuel Dicken and Warren Smith. Accessions may contain material from the Geography department and/or faculty.
The collection is arranged by accession:
Accession 10169.A: Office files, scrapbooks of clippings and memorabilia, and photographs, 1959-1967.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Department of Geological Sciences, UA 054, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Earth sciences--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Eugene
- Earth sciences--Research--Oregon--Eugene
- Geography--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Eugene
- Geology--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Personal Names :
- Dicken, , Samuel N. (Samuel Newton)
- Smith, Warren D. (Warren DuPré), 1880-1950
- Corporate Names :
- University of Oregon. Dept. of Geological Sciences--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon. Dept. of Geography--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon. Dept. of Geology--Records and correspondence
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Administrative records
- Office files