George E. Carter Jr. papers, 1960s PDF
- Carter, George E., Jr., d. 1968
- George E. Carter Jr. papers
- 1960s (inclusive)19601969
- 1.5 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- Ax 572
- George E. Carter, Jr. ( - 1968) served as a Methodist Episcopal minister of Allen Temple in Portland, Oregon, and was chairman of Albina Citizens War on Poverty from 1965-1968. The collection contains sermons, Methodist Episcopal church material that includes publications, conference and meeting material, reports, minutes, yearbooks, and a church study, Urban League material, photographs of Mississippi Tent City (1966), and reel-to-reel tape recordings, 1960s.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
Collection includes sound recordings, moving images, or digital files to which access is restricted. Access to these materials is governed by repository policy and may require the production of listening or viewing copies. Researchers requiring access must notify Special Collections & University Archives in advance and pay fees for reproduction services as necessary.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
George E. Carter, Jr. ( - 1968) served as a Methodist Episcopal minister of Allen Temple in Portland, Oregon. He was chairman of Albina Citizens War on Poverty from 1965-1968 and was an active civic worker in the Portland area.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection is organized into four series: Sermons, Pamphlets and Manuscripts, Photographs, and Tapes.
Series I: Sermons are organized by title, and a separate section contains untitled sermons and fragments.
Series II: contains Methodist Episcopal church material that includes pamphlets and manuscripts, conference and meeting material, reports, minutes, yearbooks, bulletins, and a church study. Also included here is a folder of National and Portland Urban League material.
Series III: Photographs contain prints of 1966 Mississippi Tent City.
Series IV includes reel-to-reel tape recordings titled: Lampman, Pearl, Saulalinsky, Summary, and Leobold (or Leopold).
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], George E. Carter Jr. papers, Ax 572, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Civic leaders--Oregon
- Methodist Church--Northwest, Pacific
- Methodist Church--Oregon--Clergy
- Form or Genre Terms :