Allen Gold Mining Company / Allen Company photograph albums, 1905-1908 and 1927 PDF
- Allen Gold Mining Company / Allen Company
- Allen Gold Mining Company / Allen Company photograph albums
- 1905-1908 and 1927 (inclusive)19051927
- 2 photograph albums
- Collection Number
- Mss 686
- Two photo albums depicting Allen Gold Mining Company / Allen Company logging and mining operations at French Gulch near Deer Lodge, Montana, from 1905 to1908. Photographs show views of logging activities, flume construction and use, as well as placer mining.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana--Missoula.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
In 1902, W. R. Allen acquired land in the French Gulch mining district. The Allen Gold Mining Company was incorporated in 1903, and in 1907 its name was changed to the Allen Company.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Album 1 contains various photographs of the Allen Gold Mining Company/Allen Company logging and mining operations in French Gulch, Montana. The photographs cover the years 1905 to 1908; most are from February and March of 1906. Detailed text accompanies many of the images, but the author of this text and the creator of the album are unknown. In addition to French Gulch there are a couple of logging photos from Greenough, Montana, from 1927. These photographs were most likely added by someone other than the original creator at a later date.
Album 2 appears to be bound in its original leather cover. The images are nearly identical to those in Album 1 but there are additional photographs of the mining operations and some logging. These are also identified by an unknown author. A typed note in the album explains that the photographs are from the Deer Lodge National Forest, taken by Allen Timber and Mine Company, but the original source of this information is unknown.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to The University of Montana.
[Name of document or photograph number], Allen Gold Mining Company / Allen and Company Photograph Albums, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Gold mines and mining--Montana--French Gulch--Photographs
- Logging--Montana--French Gulch--Photographs
- Geographical Names :
- Deerlodge National Forest (Mont.)--Photographs
- French Gulch (Mont.)--Photographs
- Greenough (Mont.)--Photographs
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Allen Company (Mont.)
- Allen Gold Mining Company
- Allen Timber and Mine Company