Extension and Experiment Station Communications Moving Images, 1937-2007 PDF
- Oregon State University. Extension and Experiment Station Communications.
- Extension and Experiment Station Communications Moving Images
- 1937-2007 (inclusive)19372007
- 50 cubic feet, including 1150 films, 561 videotapes, and 2 DVDs, (149 boxes and 7 film cans)
- Collection Number
- FV P 120
- The Extension and Experiment Station Communication Moving Images include motion picture films, videotapes and DVDs of final productions and raw footage documenting the variety of Oregon State University Extension and Experiment Station outreach and research activities in agriculture, forestry, home economics, fisheries, and 4-H.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container lists are available online for the collection: FV P120:0001 - FV P120:0408; FV P120:0409 - FV P120:0842; FV P120:0843 - FV P120:1306; FV P120:1307 - FV P120:1342; FV P120:1343 - FV P120:1362; Accession 91:32; and FV P120:1363, FV P120:1364, and more recent accessions.
- English, Spanish
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Extension Information Office (which later became Extension Communications) and the Agricultural Experiment Station Information office (which later became Agricultural Experiment Station Communications) were separate units until 1983, when they were combined into a single unit in the College of Agricultural Sciences known as Agricultural Communications. The name was changed in March of 1996 to Extension and Experiment Station Communications to reflect the move at OSU to make Extension a university-wide outreach activity. Extension Information provided support in the design, production, and distribution of educational materials, publications, news releases, feature stories, radio programs initially, but have added in more recent years: videotape, satellite delivery, web delivery.
William C. Smith worked in Extension Communications as a broadcast communications specialist from 1954 until his retirement in 1978. He filmed and produced many of the 1950s-1970s films in the collection.
Dave King, producer of many of the films in this collection from the 1980s, was Assistant Editor for Radio and Television from 1976 until 1987, when he became Experiment Station Electronic Media Coordinator for the office of Agricultural Communications.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Extension and Experiment Station Moving Images include final productions and raw footage documenting the wide variety of Extension Service programs and Experiment Station research activities including agriculture, logging and forest products, land use planning, nutrition and food preservation, consumer education, fisheries and marine resources, energy conservation, and 4-H programs. The collection includes footage pertaining to ashfall from the Mount St. Helens eruptions of the early 1980s; direct marketing of farm products; balloon logging; noxious weeds; and the Cowboy in Mongolia production.
Much of the footage from the 1960s and 1970s was shot for the Extension 7 and Oregon at Work television programs which were broadcast on KOAC-TV from 1959 to 1975.
Moving images in the collection from the 1980s were primarily used for public service announcements and video news releases. These include three series produced by Dave King and other staff: Whatever Happened to Mr. Wizard, or How Do We Really Find Out about Science? (1983), the Agricultural Heritage Project (1985), and Noxious Weeds of Oregon (1988).
The materials from the 1990s include final productions on VHS videotape and DVD and videorecordings of Extension Service teleconferences and workshops,
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Extension and Experiment Station Communications Moving Images (FV P 120), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- 4-H clubs--Oregon.
- Agricultural extension work--Oregon.
- Consumer education--Oregon.
- Energy conservation--Oregon.
- Farm life--Oregon.
- Forests and forestry--Oregon.
- Home economics extension work--Oregon.
- Home economics--Oregon.
- Land use--Oregon.
- Marine resources--Oregon.
- Nutrition--Study and teaching--Oregon.
- Television in higher education--Oregon.
- Corporate Names :
- Hatfield Marine Science Center.
- Oregon State University--Research.
- Geographical Names :
- Saint Helens, Mount (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Motion pictures (visual works).
- Silent films.
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- King, Dave (David Arthur), 1950-. (creator)
- Smith, William C. (William Charles), 1919-. (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- KOAC (Television station : Corvallis, Or.) (creator)
- Oregon State College. Federal Cooperative Extension Service. (creator)
- Oregon State University. Agricultural Communications. (creator)
- Oregon State University. Agricultural Experiment Station. (creator)
- Oregon State University. Cooperative Extension Service. (creator)