Collection is open for research.
Camp Adair was established by the United States Army in 1942 as a division training facility; the Adair Cantonment trained three divisions during World War II. The Camp, which covered 66,000 acres from north of Corvallis to Independence, Oregon, was in operation from 1942 through 1946. It served as a prisoner-of-war camp and also housed a U.S. Navy Hospital. During World War II, Camp Adair was the second largest "city" in Oregon. In the late 1950s, the U.S. Air Force had an early warning rader installation at the base that was in operation until 1969. Portions of the former Camp are now part of the E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area; the developed areas of the Camp have been incorporated to form the city of Adair Village.
The Camp Adair, Oregon, Maps and Aerial Photographs collection includes topographic maps, orthophotographs, and other maps and images documenting Camp Adair, which was located north of Corvallis, Oregon. Most of the materials in the collection were prepared by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the bulk are from the war years of 1942-1944. The maps offer details on buildings in the cantonment area; artillery ranges; training courses; roads, ditches and culverts; and general land features.
Camp Adair, Oregon, Maps and Aerial Photographs (MAPS Adair), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Series I consists of maps and aerial photographs of Camp Adair and the surrounding area, primarily during the World War II period.
Albany No. 1 and Corvallis No. 3 Orthophotographs
Show Camp Adair and the area to the west; scale 1:20,000. Prepared by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Two copies of the Albany sheet and one copy of the Albany and Corvallis sheets taped together.
Additional Storm Drainage at Camp Adair
Scale 1 inch = 400 feet. Diazo blueline print.
Camp Adair Training Aids General Layout
Scale 1:31,680. Prepared by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Annotated with areas where "duds" are found.
Camp Adair Area
Scale 1:62,500 scale; includes topographic contour lines as well as Camp Adair boundaries, cantonment area, and roads.
Bird's-Eye View of Former Camp Adair Area
Oblique aerial photograph published in Corvallis Gazette-Times, April 23, 1973.
Orthophotographs of Camp Adair and Surrounding Area
Fourteen orthophotographs have been pieced together to form an aerial image of Camp Adair and the surrounding area, extending from north Corvallis to north of Independence and from the Willamette River to the foothills of the Coast Range. This area includes portions of Benton, Polk, and Linn Counties. The following sheets are included: Albany nos. 1, 2, and 4; Corvallis nos. 2, 3, 5, and 6; Dallas nos. 5, 6, 8, and 9; and Salem nos. 4, 7, and 8. Scale 1:20,000. The images were made by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.