Peter Beemer Music Manuscript, circa 1864 PDF
- Beemer, Peter
- Peter Beemer Music Manuscript
- circa 1864 (inclusive)18641864
- 0.25 linear feet, (1 item)
- Collection Number
- MSS 268
- Manuscript book containing the scores of dance tunes from Warren’s Diggins, Idaho in the 1860’s. Peter Beemer, a musician with a small dance orchestra, wrote down and arranged the songs which were whistled, hummed or sung to him by various residents of the area.
- Boise State University Library, Special Collections and Archives
Special Collections and Archives
1910 University Drive
- Access Restrictions
Collection is available for research.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Manuscript book containing the scores of dance tunes from Warren’s Diggins, Idaho in the 1860’s. Peter Beemer, a musician with a small dance orchestra, wrote down and arranged the songs which were whistled, hummed or sung to him by various residents of the area.
Forms part of the McCain Collection for Western Life.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The first written history of the Beemer manuscript is found in a manuscript by Taylor Smith donated by Smith to the Idaho State Historical Society in 1961. Smith's history is published as an appendix in The Peter Beemer manuscript : dance music collected in the gold mining camp of Warren’s Diggins, Idaho in the 1860’s, edited by Vivian Williams (Seattle, Wash.: Voyager Recordings and Publications, 2008), which also contains transcripts of the music. Other histories are found in: The Warren collection : music manuscript book from the Warren, Idaho mining camp, 1864, by John Cochrane (M.A. thesis, Boise State University, 1994) and A Survey of musical activity in the mining camps of Idaho through June of 1865, by Rob McIntyre (M. Music thesis, University of Idaho, 1993).
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Both the Idaho State Historical Society Public Archives and Research Library (Boise) and the University of Idaho Library Special Collections Department (Moscow) have photocopies of the manuscript.
[item description], Peter Beemer Music Manuscript, Boise State University Special Collections and Archives.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Dance music--Idaho--Warren
- Mining camps--Idaho--19th century
- Sheet music--Idaho--Warren
- Warren (Idaho)--Music.