Hector MacPherson papers, 1918; 1925 PDF
- McPherson, Hector
- Hector MacPherson papers
- 1918; 1925 (inclusive)19181925
- 0.5 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- Ax 156
- Hector MacPherson (1875-1970) was a professor at Oregon Agricultural College (now Oregon State University), a member of the Oregon state legislature, and was co-sponser of the Zorn-MacPherson School Moving Bill of 1932. The collection (1918; 1925) contains correspondence and documents related to Kansas Agricultural College and William Jasper Kerr, and also papers related to curricular matters between Oregon Agricultural College and the University of Oregon.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Hector MacPherson (1875-1970) was a professor in economics and sociology at Oregon Agricultural College (now Oregon State University) "from 1911 until 1926, when he resigned to offer his services to the movement for reorganization of higher education in Oregon."
"He was elected to the [Oregon] state legislature in 1927, 1929, and 1939. [He] led an initiative petition on the November 1932 general election ballot, known as the Zorn-Macpherson School Moving Bill, that provided for the consolidation of the University of Oregon and Oregon State College, and moving of other higher education campuses."
[Source: Finding aid for the MacPherson Family History, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.]
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
One file of letters and documents concerns an employment offer made to William Jasper Kerr, for the presidency of Kansas Agricultural College (1918).
A second file relates to a controversy over curricular matters between Oregon Agricultural College and the University of Oregon, adjudicated by the Board of Higher Curricula (1925).
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Hector MacPherson papers, Ax 156, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Curricula--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Corvallis--Faculty.
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene