William Fursuar Wellington letters, 1864-1865 PDF
- Wellington, William Fursuar, 1835-
- William Fursuar Wellington letters
- 1864-1865 (inclusive)18641865
- 0.025 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- A 196
- William Fursuar Wellington (1835 - ) served as a private in Company K, 42d Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry during the America Civil War. The collection (1864-1865) consists of correspondence to his wife, a photograph, and discharge papers.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
William Fursuar Wellington (1835 - ) was born in Batavia, New York, and moved to Wisconsin. He served as a private in Company K, 42d Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry during the American Civil War.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection (October 3, 1864 - May 31, 1865) consists of correspondence to his wife, a photograph, and discharge papers.
The correspondence was sent from when Wellington was in Cairo, Illinois. His letters refer to camp conditions, illness, condition of prisoners, Copperhead activities, missed pay-days, and guerrilla warfare on the Ohio River, and activities of the local citizens. The letters describe military life in a relatively peaceful time and place. There are about thirty letters.
A photograph of Wellington in his military uniform, and his discharge papers included.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], William Fursuar Wellington letters, A 196, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1||Correspondence, Cairo, Illinois||1864-1865|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Military—Civil War
- Soldiers--United States--Correspondence
- Personal Names :
- Wellington, William Fursuar, 1835-
- Wellington, William Fursuar, 1835---Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 42nd (1864-1865). Company K
- United States. Army--Military life--History--19th century
- Geographical Names :
- Cairo (Ill.)--History, Military--19th century
- Illinois--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- Form or Genre Terms :