Clarence William Anderson papers, 1968 PDF
- Anderson, C. W. (Clarence William), 1891-1971
- Clarence William Anderson papers
- 2 linear feet, (1 container) : 1 solander case
- Collection Number
- Ax 444
- Clarence William Anderson (1891 - 1971) specialized in the writing and illustrating of books about horses, most of them for children. The collection (1963-1968) contains lithographs, dummies, pencil sketches, crayon drawings, and prints for three children's books.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Clarence William Anderson (1891 - 1971) was born in Wahoo, Nebraska, and educated at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. He specialized in the writing and illustrating of books about horses, most of them for children.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The donation of November 1968 contains: three original lithographs, a dummy, and rough pencil sketches for Blaze and the Gray Spotted Pony, published by Macmillan in 1968.
The addendum of December 1969 contains:
a dummy and pencil sketches for Blaze and the Indian Cave, published by Macmillan in 1964;
two crayon drawings for Complete Book of Horses and Horsemanship, published by Macmillan in 1963;
and also two lithograph prints of jockeys on horses, and a mare with colts.
The collection also contains two notebooks of sketches; it is not known which donation the notebooks were a part of.
The dates in the collection correspond with the dates of publication; it is not known when the drawings were created.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Clarence William Anderson papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Authors, American--20th century
- Children's literature, American--Authorship
- Children's literature, American--Illustrations
- Horses in art
- Horses--Juvenile literature
- Illustration of books--United States--20th century
- Illustrators--United States
- Form or Genre Terms :