Japanese Internment Camp photograph collection, circa 1942-1946 PDF
- Japanese Internment Camp photograph collection
- circa 1942-1946 (inclusive)19421946
- 18 photographic prints (1 folder) ; various sizes
- Collection Number
- Photographs of Japanese Americans in an internment camp, possibly at Tule Lake, California
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Entire collection can be viewed on the Libraries’ Digital Collections website. Permission of Visual Materials Curator required to view originals. Contact Special Collections for more information.
Historical BackgroundReturn to Top
The Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor in 1941 led to great fear within the United States. Residents along the Pacific Coast of the U.S. were particularly affected by this event and feared additional bombings. On February 19, 1942, President Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066, which decreed that residents of Japanese ancestry be evacuated from their homes and relocated to inland locations. Executive Order 9066, and the resulting War Relocation Authority evacuated, relocated and interned 120,000 American citizens and permanent resident aliens who were of Japanese ancestry.
The Tule Lake Relocation Center in California (the likely location for these photographs) opened in 1942. It was quickly turned into the camp for "disloyal" Japanese--those who answered "no" on the loyalty test. Because of this, Tule Lake was the longest running internment camp, remaining open until March 20, 1946.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Photographs of Japanese Americans in an internment camp, possibly at Tule Lake, California. Most of the photographs are of groups or individuals outside; also included are children playing in the snow and views of the landscape and guard towers.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions may exist on reproduction, quotation, or publication. Contact Special Collections, University of Washington Libraries for details.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Concentration camp inmates--California--Photographs
- Concentration camp inmates--United States--Photographs
- Japanese Americans--California--Photographs
- Japanese Americans--Evacuation and relocation, 1942-1945--Photographs
- Visual Materials Collections (University of Washington)
- World War, 1939-1945--Concentration camps--California--Photographs
- World War, 1939-1945--Concentration camps--United States--Photographs
- Corporate Names :
- Tule Lake Relocation Center--Photographs (subjecy)
- Geographical Names :
- Form or Genre Terms :