Collection is open for research.
Oregon State University's oceanography program began in 1954 with a small research grant from the Office of Naval Research. It was established as a department in 1959 to fulfill the need for trained oceanographers and basic oceanographic research in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of the Pacific Northwest. The department became the School of Oceanography in 1972 and the College of Oceanography in 1983. When the Atmospheric Sciences Department was transferred to the college in 1993, Oceanography was renamed the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences.
The School of Oceanography Photographs consist of three images depicting oceanographic research conducted by Oregon State University faculty and graduate students that were assembled as part of the School's biennial report for 1970/1972. One image shows a three-meter trawl with trawlometers used to sample deep ocean stations; a second depicts a buoy being lowered into the ocean for studying the nature of upwelling between Seal Rock and Cascade Head on the Oregon Coast. The third image shows School of Oceanography geophysicists placing seismometers in the Klamath Falls, Oregon, area during exploratory studies of geothermal energy.
All of the images are b/w photographic prints and have been assigned individual numbers P203:1 thru P203:3.
School of Oceanography Photographs (P 203), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.