Laura J. Bock papers, 1962-1969 PDF
- Bock, Laura J.
- Laura J. Bock papers
- 1962-1969 (inclusive)
- 0.5 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- UA 018
- Laura J. Bock was a student at the University of Oregon during the 1960s who took part in civil rights activism and anti-vietnam protests at the university. The collection (1962-1969) contains political ephemera such as flyers and posters, memos, buttons, and underground newsletters and publications, as well as Bock's personal notes, correspondence, and an oral history (with transcript).
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Laura J. Bock was a student at the University of Oregon during the 1960s. Bock took part in civil rights activism and anti-vietnam protests at UO. She traveled to Mississippi for Freedom Summer in 1964 in order to register African-American voters.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains political ephemera such as flyers and posters, memos, buttons, and underground newsletters and publications, as well as, Bock's personal notes, correspondence, and an oral history (with transcript).
Vietnam War/Draft material includes articles, posters and flyers, photographs, and newsletters and publications (1965-1967). Also included are Bock's personal notes and correspondence. Newsletters include Agitator (September 19, 1967), Peace & Freedom (August 21, 1965; September 6, 1965), and Peace Feast (May 1967).
Civil Rights Movement material contains memos, newsletters and publications, and articles (1962-1965). Publications include The Right to Vote (August 1962), Key List Mailing (August 22, 1965), and Aspects (September 1965).
Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) material includes an SDS bulletin, pamphlets, and newsletters (1965-1966). Newsletters include React (March 3, 1966) and The Irregular (January 18, 1966; February 14, 1966; April 16, 1966; June 3, 1966; October 10, 1966; October 24, 1966).
Young Democrats material consists of membership information, correspondence, flyers, and a publication titled Bulletin of the World Council of Peace (August 1965).
Additional printed matter includes: John F. Kennedy Memorial Service Program (November 23, 1963); Students for Socialist Action (SSA) flyer (April 1965); Physical Education for Women pamphlet; Progressive Labor Party flyer; React (March 1, 1966; March 3, 1966; March 10, 1966; March 30, 1966; August 1966); Minnesota Mobilizer (January 14, 1968); Aspects Magazine (August 1967; January 1969); WIN (June 1, 1968); The Freedom Socialist (August 5, 1966); Ramparts (February 1966 through February 1968); Next (1965); and Insurgent (March/April 1965; May/June 1965; July/August 1965).
The collection also contains buttons, and an oral history with Laura J. Bock (including two audio tapes and a typed transcript).
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
[Identification of item], Laura J. Bock papers, UA 018, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Civil disobedience--Oregon--Eugene
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th century
- College students--Oregon--Eugene
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Student movements--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Protest movements--Oregon--Eugene
- Personal Names :
- Bock, Laura J.
- Bock, Laura J.--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Students for a Democratic Society (U.S.)
- University of Oregon--Students
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Oral histories