Ernst Skarstedt photographs, circa 1888-January 20, 1919 PDF
- Skarstedt, Ernst, 1857-1929
- Ernst Skarstedt photographs
- circa 1888-January 20, 1919 (inclusive)18831919
circa 1888-1900 (bulk)18831905
- 22 photographic prints (1 box) ; various sizes
- Collection Number
- Photographs of Ernst Sakrstedt and his photography of landscapes primarily in Cowlitz County and other Washington locations along with some views in California and Oregon
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Entire collection can be viewed on the Libraries’ Digital Collections website. Permission of Visual Materials Curator required to view originals. Contact Special Collections for more information.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Ernst Skarstedt was born in Bohuslan, Sweden in 1857 and emigrated to the United States in 1878. His career as an editor and correspondent for Swedish-American newspapers took him to Chicago, San Francisco and New York City, as well as Portland, Oregon, where Skarstedt attempted to start a Swedish language paper, Demokraten , to educate the Swedish community on local politics. Skarstedt was also a prolific writer of prose and poetry, publishing a trilogy of books on life in the Pacific Northwest.
Skarstedt spent many years in the Pacific Northwest, starting as a pioneer in Clark County, Washington from 1886-1888. He then moved frequently, residing in Cowlitz County, Washington from 1896-1901, Columbia City near Seattle from 1906-1912, and Orcas Island from 1912-1928. He died in Friday Harbor, Washington near Seattle in 1929.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of photographs depicting scenes primarily in Oregon, California, and Washington, 1880s-1890s. Several photographs are stamped "Ernst Skarstedt, Photographer," though most are presumed to be taken by Skarstedt. The collection also includes photographs of Skarstedt with his camera and later in his life.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions may exist on reproduction, quotation, or publication. Contact Special Collections, University of Washington Libraries for details.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Ernst SkarstedtReturn to Top
Ernst and Ester Skarstedt with camera equipment
C. Fritz & Co, McMinnville, Oregon (Photographer)
Johnson, Seattle (Photographer)
|January 20, 1919|
WashingtonReturn to Top
Cowlitz County, Washington Landscapes
OregonReturn to Top
Landscape near the Coos River, nine miles from Marshfield, Oregon
Marcus Skarstedt sitting in a field.
CaliforniaReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Personal Names :
- Skarstedt, Ernst, 1857-1929--Photographs
- Geographical Names :
- Battle Ground (Wash.)--Photographs
- Blue Lake (Calif.)--Photographs
- Cowlitz County (Wash.)--Photographs
- Hood, Mount (Or.)--Photographs
- Lost Lake (Hood River County, Or.)--Photographs
- San Leandro (Calif.)--Photographs
- Silver Lake (Snohomish County, Wash.)--Photographs
- Templeton (Calif.)--Photographs
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Visual Materials Collections (University of Washington)