American Fisheries Society Oregon Chapter Records, 1963-2011 PDF
- American Fisheries Society. Oregon Chapter.
- American Fisheries Society Oregon Chapter Records
- 1963-2011 (inclusive)19632011
- 5.2 cubic feet, including 107 photographs, 4 floppy disks, and 3 CDs, (6 boxes, including 1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- MSS AFS
- The American Fisheries Society Oregon Chapter Records document the research, education, and public policy activities of the organization in addressing the protection of fish populations and habitats. The Oregon Chapter was established in 1964 as a professional organization of fisheries and aquatic science professionals.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container list available online.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Oregon Chapter of the American Fisheries Society was formed in 1964 as a professional organization of fisheries and aquatic science professionals. Members are employed by government agencies, colleges and universities, and private organizations and also include students and retired professionals. The Chapter's work began with a campaign focused on estuary conservation and has more recently addressed listing of the Klamath Basin bull trout as a threatened species and reviewed the Siskiyou National Forest Plan for its impact on stream environments. The mission "is to improve the conservation and sustainability of Oregon fishery resources and their aquatic ecosystems for long-term public benefit by advancing science, education and public discourse concerning fisheries and aquatic science and by promoting the development of fisheries professionals."
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The American Fisheries Society Oregon Chapter Records document the activities of the Oregon Chapter and include bylaws, CDs, conference proceedings, correspondence, floppy diskettes, handbooks, meeting minutes, membership lists, newsletters, newspaper clippings, photographs, a plaque, policy statements, questionnaires, reports, and resolutions. The Records reflect the Chapter's work in addressing the protection of fish populations and habitats and document the review of national forest management plans, sponsorship of legislation, filing of petitions for endangered species listing of fish, collection and analysis of data, and policy statements and testimony in response to legislative bills and projects. Various issues that impact fisheries health are addressed in the materials, including salvage logging, hydroelectric development, reservoir draw down, and tax incentives for riparian zones. The collection also includes proceedings from annual meetings of the Oregon Chapter and the American Fisheries Society Western Division.
The photographs consist of 107 images (104 negatives and 3 prints) depicting the 1983 American Fisheries Society Oregon Chapter meeting held at Oregon State University. The collection includes 4 floppy diskettes and 3 CDs that contain slide presentations on the Chapter's history, proceedings of a cutthroat trout symposium, scholarship information, the Chapter's Code of Ethics, the annual meeting handbook, and computer programs for managing data and conducting Chi-square statistical tests.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
American Fisheries Society Oregon Chapter Records (MSS AFS), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Estuarine area conservation--Oregon.
- Fish habitat improvement--Pacific Coast (U.S.)
- Fishes--Conservation--Pacific Coast (U.S.)
- Pacific salmon--Ecology--Pacific Coast (U.S.)
- Watershed management--Oregon.
- Corporate Names :
- American Fisheries Society.
- American Fisheries Society. Western Division.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Compact discs.
- Film negatives.
- Floppy disks.
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- American Fisheries Society. (creator)
- American Fisheries Society. Western Division. (creator)