Mary Phelps Montgomery letter to Walter F. Burrell, 1905 January 18 PDF
- Montgomery, Mary S. Phelps
- Mary Phelps Montgomery letter to Walter F. Burrell
- 1905 January 181905-01-181905-01-18
- 0.025 linear feet, (1 container) : 1 folder
- Collection Number
- CA 1905 Jan 18
- John H. Mitchell (1835-1905) represented Oregon in the U.S. Senate, as a Republican, and he was also indicted in a land fraud scandal. The collection contains a letter dated January 18, 1905 from Mary Phelps Montgomery of Washington, D.C, to Walter F. Burrell of Portland, Oregon regarding Mitchell's indictment.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)
Historical NoteReturn to Top
John H. Mitchell (1835-1905) represented Oregon in the U.S. Senate, as a Republican, for over twenty years. He was indicted in a land fraud scandal.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
In the letter, Montgomery tells of her experience watching Senator John H. Mitchell's speech in defense of his indictment.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Legislators--United States
- Public lands--Oregon
- Women civic leaders--Oregon--Portland
- Personal Names :
- Burrell, Walter Frazar, 1863-1946
- Mitchell, John H. (John Hipple), 1835-1905
- Corporate Names :
- United States. Congress. Senate
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon--Politics and government--1859-1950
- Form or Genre Terms :