Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Della J. Rowland Reminiscence, circa 1965
- Rowland, Della J., 1887-1979
- Della J. Rowland Reminiscence
- circa 196519651965
- 1 item
- Collection Number
- Collection 404, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Della J. Rowland Reminiscence is an undated two page handwritten account of the journey the Rowland family made in 1899 and 1900 from Nebraska to Montana and Adelaska Rowland's subsequent working life as a farm hand and homesteader.
Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Della J. Humble was born in Idaho on December 8, 1887. She moved to Teton County married Homer O. Rowland sometime prior to 1917. Homer had been born in Nebraska on December 17, 1892, the son of Adelaska Rowland and moved with his family to Montana in 1899. After a brief residence in Canada, the Rowlands first settled in the Bynum area, but afterwards settled a homestead claim near Pendroy. The homestead eventually became part of Homer's farm where he and Della raised two children. In addition to farming, Homer also served as a Teton County commissioner. Homer Rowland died on July 8, 1966 and Della Rowland passed away on October 21, 1979.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Della Rowland reminiscence is an undated two page handwritten account of the journey the Rowland family made in 1899 and 1900 from Nebraska to Montana and Adelaska Rowland's subsequent working life as a farm hand and homesteader. Some information is given on fellow travelers in the 1899 caravan from Nebraska, but there are few details in the narrative.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Families-Montana-Teton County
- Frontier and pioneer life-Montana-Teton County
- Overland journeys to Montana
- Pioneers-Montana-Teton County
- Rowland, Adelaska
- Rowland, Homer O., 1892-1966
- Rowland family
- Bynum (Mont.)
- Teton County (Mont.)-History
Form or Genre Terms