Collection on the "Flight of the Salmon Fly: a reconnaissance trip down the River of No Return, Salmon River, Idaho June 20 to July 2, 1944", 1944

Overview of the Collection

Title
Collection on the "Flight of the Salmon Fly: a reconnaissance trip down the River of No Return, Salmon River, Idaho June 20 to July 2, 1944"
Dates
1944 (inclusive)
1990 (inclusive)
Quantity
0.5 linear feet
Collection Number
MG 5733
Summary
The collection consists primarily of a report written by senior engineer K.M. MacDuffie, from logs of a trip down the Salmon River in 1944 by members of the Army Corps of Engineers. The logs were kept by senior engineers L.E. Rydell, S.E. Sporseen and F.O. McGrew and detail their crew's trip June 20-July 2, 1944. The Salmon Fly in the collection title is in reference to the name of boat on which the engineers traveled.
Repository
University of Idaho Library, Special Collections and Archives
Special Collections and Archives
University of Idaho Library
875 Perimeter Drive
MS 2350
Moscow, ID
83844-2350
Telephone: 2088850845
libspec@uidaho.edu
Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Languages
English

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

This collection is a summary of logs written on a trip down the River of No Return in 1944 by members of the Army Corps of Engineers. The summary was written by trip senior engineer K.M. MacDuffie from logs kept by three other senior engineers making the trip, L.E. Rydell, S.E. Sporseen, and F.O. McGrew. According to the report, "the main purpose of the trip was selection of sites where high dams might be feasible and the selection of a series of dams that eventually might develop the entire fall in the river. Only the portions of the river course which were not accesible, at that time, by roads were considered during the trip." The summary is typeset and includes pictures of the trip as well as maps of the area covered in the journey. The trip covered the days of June 20 to July 2, 1944. The typescript is 124 pages excluding the accompanying maps. Also included in the collection is a CD containing a digital copy of the report as well as newspaper article from Northwest Magazine dated March 25, 1990 about the telephone system in the Salmon River canyon.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top

Acquisition Information

Donated 1/15/2010 by Rita and John Sporseen. John Sporseen is the son of S.E. Sporseen, one of the original members of the trip in 1944 (accession MA 2010-03).

Names and SubjectsReturn to Top

Geographical Names

  • Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness (Idaho)
  • Salmon River (Idaho)