Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
McMinnville Ladies' Sanitary Aid Society records , 1864-1961
- Juvenile Sanitary Society (McMinnville, Or.); Case, Victoria; McMinnville Ladies' Sanitary Aid Society (McMinnville, Or.)
- McMinnville Ladies' Sanitary Aid Society records
- 1864-1961 (inclusive)18641961
- 0.025 linear feet, (1 container) : 1 folder
- Collection Number
- B 152
- The McMinnville (Oregon) Ladies' Sanitary Aid Society was founded in 1863 to support Union troops by providing volunteer support and raising money. The collection (1861-1865; 1961) contains a secretary's book, a treasurer's book, annual report, constitution and bylaws, meeting minutes, Juvenile Sanitary Society information, correspondence, receipts, and a story regarding the society.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The McMinnville (Oregon) Ladies' Sanitary Aid Society was founded in 1863 "to support Union troops by raising hundreds of dollars from sewing, knitting, and extracting financial pledges from local patriots."
[Source: Deschutes County Historical Society website. Century of Action. Oregon Women's Clubs]
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection (1861-1865; 1961) contains a secretary's book, a treasurer's book, annual report, constitution and bylaws, meeting minutes, Juvenile Sanitary Society information, correspondence, receipts, and a story regarding the society.
The secretary's book contains the constitution and bylaws and minutes (reports) of meetings. At the end of the volume is a list of members of the "Juvenile Sanitary Society" with notations of individual contributions.
The treasurer's book includes receipts and expenditures, an annual narrative report, and a final report dated August 2, 1865.
Loose papers consist of three letters, one from Mrs. Addison C. Gibbs, and one from E. D. Shattuck, secretary of the Oregon Board of the U. S. Sanitary Commission, and one from George Chandler.
There are also twelve receipts and 9 "orders" on the treasurer authorizing transfer of funds.
Also with the records is a feature story about the McMinnville society written by Victoria Case, and published in the Oregonian, on February 19, 1961.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Children--Oregon--McMinnville--Societies and clubs
- Women--Oregon--McMinnville--Societies and clubs
- Youth--Oregon--McMinnville--Societies and clubs
- McMinnville (Or.)--History--19th century
- Oregon--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Societies, etc
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--War work--Societies, etc
Form or Genre Terms
- Annual reports
- Bylaws (administrative records)
- Financial records
- Receipts (financial records)