Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
University of Idaho Student Mail, 1946-1966
- University of Idaho. Library. Special Collections Dept.
- University of Idaho Student Mail
- 1946-1966 (inclusive)19461966
- 0.25 cubic feet
- Collection Number
- MG 5756
- Four pieces of mail addressed to University of Idaho students living in the Chrisman Hall men’s dormitory on the Moscow campus
University of Idaho Library, Special Collections and Archives
Special Collections and Archives
University of Idaho Library
875 Perimeter Drive
- Access Restrictions
The manuscript group is open to the public. Researchers must use the collection in accordance with the policies of the University of Idaho Special Collections and Archives.
- This collection is in English.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The University of Idaho built Chrisman Hall on the Moscow campus in 1938 as a men’s dormitory; it was named in honor of Brigadier General Edward Chrisman who taught military science at the University for over four decades, beginning in 1894. The University renamed the dormitory, Phinney Hall, in honor of Idaho anthropologist Archie Phinney, in the early 1980s.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of four pieces of mail.
- Postcard addressed to Kenneth Kelsch, Grosman Hall, postmarked in Idaho Falls, Idaho on October 19, 1946, communicating program for "Navy Night," American Legion, Bonneville Post No. 56, Monday, October 21.
- Letter with envelope addressed to Mr. Marvin Mackie, Chrisman Hall, postmarked in Buhl, Idaho on May 3, 1956.
- Letter and envelope addressed to John Warden, Chrisman Hall, postmarked in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on May 4, 1966. Letter is a solicitation from the Philadelphia Life Insurance Company for the "Philadelphia Life Undergraduate Student (PLUS) Plan."
- Solicitation from Bi-Rite Auto Specialty, Chicago, Illinois, to Bob Lynch, Chrisman Hall. Undated.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
University of Idaho Student Mail, MG 5756. Special Collections and Archives, University of Idaho Library, Moscow, Idaho.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
University of Idaho Facilities Management personnel discovered the items while removing student mail boxes from the building that once housed the dormitory. The employees gave the mail to Jean McIntire, Administrative Assistant in the University’s Department of Sociology and Anthropology, now housed in the building. Ms. McIntire transferred the mail to Special Collections and Archives in June 2013.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Kelsch, Kenneth.
- Lynch, Bob.
- Mackie, Marvin.
- Warden, John.
- University of Idaho.