Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
University of Montana Lambda Alliance Records, 1992-2018
- University of Montana Lambda Alliance
- University of Montana Lambda Alliance Records
- 1992-2018 (inclusive)19922018
- 0.1 linear feet
- Collection Number
- Mss 933
- The University of Montana Lambda Alliance records consist primary of bylaws, meeting minutes, and event materials that date from 1992-2018. Lambda was established as a service organization for LGBT students at the University of Montana and to educate people who were interested in understanding more about the LGBT community.
University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana-Missoula.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Founded in March of 1975, Lambda was formed by a group of 20 students who were enrolled in instructor Robert Kus' gay studies course at the University of Montana in Missoula. According to the group's co-founder, Will Roscoe, Lambda was Montana's first openly gay organization. Lambda was established as a service organization for LGBT students and to educate people who were interested in understanding more about the LGBT community. By 1989, the group had changed its name to the Lambda Alliance.
The organization remains active, hosting events such as Pride Week celebrations, queer film festivals, Queergiving Dinner, and National Coming Out Day celebrations. As of 2020, their mission statement was, "The UM Lambda Alliance seeks to increase the visibility and acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community through education, advocacy, and the promotion of social acceptance."
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection contains materials related to the activities of the University of Montana Lambda Alliance student organization from 1992-2018. The collection is made up of records including meeting minutes and organization bylaws. It also contains posters and fliers for outreach events.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes.
University of Montana Lambda Alliance Records, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
This collection is arranged by subject, then chronologically within each folder.
Materials in this collection were held by the Lambda Alliance until their donation to Archives and Special Collections.
This collection was donated to Archives and Special Collections by the Lambda Alliance in 2019.
The original order of the materials was maintained during processing.
The University of Montana's Archives and Special Collections holds a Lambda scrapbook in the Will Roscoe Papers (Mss 796).
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1/3||Events and Outreach||1992-2018 and undated|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Gay college students--Montana--Missoula
- Gay college students--Montana--Missoula--xSocieties, etc.
- Lambda Alliance (University of Montana)--Archives
- University of Montana--Missoula--Alumni and alumnae
- University of Montana--Missoula--Students--Societies, etc.